You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i’m a Homeless User Ext HDD

2013 MacPro Monterey (12.2 now) + OWC 4TB SoftRaid

OS + Apps internal SSD

2 ‘admin’ User Accounts internal for test & access.

Primary User Home Folder has been on RAID for several years, ( and ditto with prior hardware and software for 2 decades )

Recently after a Monterey update and restart, the Primary Account cannot be logged in, with an error message. (below) So I’m locked out. I can access temporarily with other admin accounts, though obviously not fully functional.

Multiple time I’ve done the process of creating that Primary Account, copying to RAID, etc.

I note that while that during the copy, the Folder icon on the RAID has the ‘apple special’ icon on that folder. As soon as SysPref>select Home Folder> choose — choice made, OS requires immediate restart.

After restart, the login issue & error message rears it’s ugly head.

I also tested the whole process with a fresh User, with same results.

The frustration is that there’s been no alteration, hardware or software ( other than Monterey ) configurations, and this setup has worked for 20+ years.

Have been on line with Apple Support, but as ‘non apple’ components involved it falls outside the scope of their level of consumer support limits.

Most help items found are back a few generations of OS X, pre MacOS..

also have gone Recovery, reset permissions etc.

my supposition is it’s either 12. 12.1 12.2 or a RAID driver related.

I think it occured after 12.1, but now it’s unusable.

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:28 PM

having tried several options from prior OS X versions without success, I went further afield.

No hints from the RAID side, but it seemed something had changed in regard to permissions after restarting.

I'd only done 'regular' Onyx maintenance, but months ago, so nothing user initiated to alter rights.

I tried several terminal commands found on various sites.

I'd earlier enabled Ignore Ownership on this volume without success.

SSS. Self Service Solution - sudo diskutil disableOwnership disk (##)

restart all's well for several hours now

not a clue as to how the permissions were changed, or 12.1 / 12.2 altered rights requirements ..

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2022 11:28 PM in response to tezzb

having tried several options from prior OS X versions without success, I went further afield.

No hints from the RAID side, but it seemed something had changed in regard to permissions after restarting.

I'd only done 'regular' Onyx maintenance, but months ago, so nothing user initiated to alter rights.

I tried several terminal commands found on various sites.

I'd earlier enabled Ignore Ownership on this volume without success.

SSS. Self Service Solution - sudo diskutil disableOwnership disk (##)

restart all's well for several hours now

not a clue as to how the permissions were changed, or 12.1 / 12.2 altered rights requirements ..

i’m a Homeless User Ext HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.