You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't backup read only files

My time machine is plugged into an external hard-drive and for a few days now, I keep getting an error message that macOS can't repair the disk "BackUp" (which is what I call my external hard drive), another message says that time machine couldn't be complete the backup to that external drive because files can't be copied onto the backup disk because they are read-only. I need to figure out how to exclude those read-only files so a backup can be performed.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 7:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 7:44 AM

rafasocalintx wrote:

My time machine is plugged into an external hard-drive and for a few days now, I keep getting an error message that macOS can't repair the disk "BackUp" (which is what I call my external hard drive), another message says that time machine couldn't be complete the backup to that external drive because files can't be copied onto the backup disk because they are read-only. I need to figure out how to exclude those read-only files so a backup can be performed.

old issue, new issue, what changed(?)

Highlight the external drive on your Desktop or Finder side bar... Command i will open the Information pane.

Look at your permissions there, make changes if necessary by unlocking the padlock:

On indication of a corrupt /failing drive is losing the ability to write

Also "Time Machine has completed a new backup for you, or get a message saying it can't create the backup,"

or “failed to complete the backup, ” or “Preparing backup”

This message reappears most likely the TimeMachine disk is operating in a state of failure and will continue to fail with increasing frequency, in this case replace the drive.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2022 7:44 AM in response to rafasocalintx

rafasocalintx wrote:

old issue, new issue, what changed(?)

Highlight the external drive on your Desktop or Finder side bar... Command i will open the Information pane.

Look at your permissions there, make changes if necessary by unlocking the padlock:

On indication of a corrupt /failing drive is losing the ability to write

Also "Time Machine has completed a new backup for you, or get a message saying it can't create the backup,"

or “failed to complete the backup, ” or “Preparing backup”

This message reappears most likely the TimeMachine disk is operating in a state of failure and will continue to fail with increasing frequency, in this case replace the drive.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Can't backup read only files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.