You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to add new playlist to my ipod touch

Hi, I purchased an ipod touch 64gb a few months ago and have had a number of issues with it. Two main ones are that it won't fully sync with my iTunes keeps saying error -54 I've taken all the steps to address this and it still happens. Now I'm not able to create a new playlist on my device which is exceptionally frustrating as I work as a fitness instructor and use music on a daily basis

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:08 AM

To address the error 54, try this link; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205597.

Regarding the playlist issue; are you talking about a playlist successfully created in your iTunes library that you can't add to the iPod (in which case, you need to resolve the error 54) or do you mean that you cannot create a playlist on the iPod? If it's the latter, what happens when you try?

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Smiler2022

To address the error 54, try this link; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205597.

Regarding the playlist issue; are you talking about a playlist successfully created in your iTunes library that you can't add to the iPod (in which case, you need to resolve the error 54) or do you mean that you cannot create a playlist on the iPod? If it's the latter, what happens when you try?

Jan 19, 2022 12:32 PM in response to Smiler2022

I've just created two playlists on my iPod, without issue. So regarding that problem, all I can suggest at the moment is to re-start the iPod (power it down fully and then turn it back on).

Error -54 suggests a permissions issue. I think this could either be a file (such as the iTunes database file - that's the .itl file) that is now set to read only when it needs to be writeable, or possibly anti-virus software that is interfering with iTunes. I haven't found any posts that have a successful fix, so all I can suggest is that you check the .itl file to ensure that it is not set to Read Only and the check your anti-virus software to make sure it isn't blocking iTunes.

Not able to add new playlist to my ipod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.