You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't remove "Bootcamp" partition. Have tried all advice in support and community.

I created partition but didn't install Windows. There is no option in Bootcamp to delete the partition; using disk utility to either use the minus button to remove the partition or to "erase" it leads to an error message. Initially I used "erase" and selected APFS and probably "unmounted" it prior. I just checked and it's gone but I now seem to have a variety of nameless "Volumes" one of which has about 40GB used which is similar to the Bootcamp size. I think I know enough about Apple OS now to consider that a re-install of the OS is the only answer to any issue that can't be solved within a couple of minutes; I expect that there is no readily accessible information in fairly plain English of what the Disk information means?

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 12:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 12:09 AM

Just cleaning up; I don't recall exactly but with Disk erasures it seems that getting a "failure" msg. does not indicate failure i.e. having given up a couple of times it turns out to have been successful; not sure what worked of course - it could have been any attempt; maybe its a fault in mine but from now on it seems that "failure" msgs. need to be ignored and probably after each attempt the machine needs to be re-started; it all seems somewhat like a retro device from the 80's in this respect.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2022 12:09 AM in response to desm1

Just cleaning up; I don't recall exactly but with Disk erasures it seems that getting a "failure" msg. does not indicate failure i.e. having given up a couple of times it turns out to have been successful; not sure what worked of course - it could have been any attempt; maybe its a fault in mine but from now on it seems that "failure" msgs. need to be ignored and probably after each attempt the machine needs to be re-started; it all seems somewhat like a retro device from the 80's in this respect.

Jan 14, 2022 1:26 AM in response to desm1

It seems that one can't edit a question so here is a supplement; I used "Time machine" to back up almost everything prior to creating the Boot camp partition; is there some way to restore the SSD using TM but without a complete re install; there is a section called "Set up" I think but the info is incomprehensible to a layman.

Can't remove "Bootcamp" partition. Have tried all advice in support and community.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.