You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime audio breaks up and sounds distorted when using interal speakers after updating to Monterey

I updated my Macbook Pro 2016 to Monterey and when I facetime someone using my speakers the audio that comes from them is super broken up and distorted. I have reset my NVRAM twice to no avail. Is anyone else having this issue or has found a solution.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Took me almost 2 weeks to find solutions but I found a video that essentially helped me resolve the crackling / distorting sound that was caused after the Monterey update.

This is the link to the video but just in case it might be taken down from apple site for copy right issue, I'll leave step by step down below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=177&v=VNd2PgEfrRM&feature=emb_title

1. In the search icon on the task bar, search for "midi" and should pop out with "Audio MiDi Setup"
  2. Select on the "Built-in Output
  3. On the right hand side, you'll see input option and output option. Press onto the output selection
  4. Under the "format", select highest frequency you have (eg. Mine was on 48,000 Hz and changed to the highest Hz which was 96,00Hz)

This solution worked on me. Not sure if will for everyone else but hopefully this solves some of yous users' frustrations.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM in response to thegold2

Took me almost 2 weeks to find solutions but I found a video that essentially helped me resolve the crackling / distorting sound that was caused after the Monterey update.

This is the link to the video but just in case it might be taken down from apple site for copy right issue, I'll leave step by step down below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=177&v=VNd2PgEfrRM&feature=emb_title

1. In the search icon on the task bar, search for "midi" and should pop out with "Audio MiDi Setup"
  2. Select on the "Built-in Output
  3. On the right hand side, you'll see input option and output option. Press onto the output selection
  4. Under the "format", select highest frequency you have (eg. Mine was on 48,000 Hz and changed to the highest Hz which was 96,00Hz)

This solution worked on me. Not sure if will for everyone else but hopefully this solves some of yous users' frustrations.

Jan 13, 2022 11:07 AM in response to shank112

Hello shank112,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Upon review of your post, it seems that you are experiencing poor FaceTime audio on your Mac. We can see why you’d want this taken care of, so let us help from here! Let’s start by reviewing the following article which may help: If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac. Check the section titled “If you need help with your connection or call quality.”

Please let us know if you have follow up questions, so we can continue assisting. Take care!

Jan 15, 2022 10:54 PM in response to Sharon_419

I’m having the exact same issue. I upgraded to the new iOS and now have distorted audio to the point of not being able to use FaceTime on my MacBook Pro. It worked fine before the update and works fine on my iPad and iPhone. As the previous person stated it’s not wifi because the only change is the update. I use FaceTime weekly for a gathering with friends so would like this fixed as soon as possible. I did try the suggestions for adjusting audio settings but still same issues.

facetime audio breaks up and sounds distorted when using interal speakers after updating to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.