You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sent text goes to one recipient's email instead of their mobile number?

I used to send texts to this one recipient with no issues; last one was July 2020. Those all appeared to go thru as iMessages. Then is Aug 2021 I sent them a text and it went through as an email to their email account. For some reason that msg showed up as green/SMS msg on my iphone, instead of blue/imsg as previously. I have this same recipient on a group text with another person and all texts there go directly to their phone as a text and show up as blue/imsg when I send. Last msgs sent there were Dec. 2021.

When I attempt to text this person individually the text automatically defaults to their email address. It doesn't matter if I attempt to create the text in the Message app, or if I open the contact's information under the phone app, and click on Message. I'm on IOS 15.1. How do I resolve?

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 9:51 AM

Fixed it.

That person sent me a test text, which I received. I responded back from the Message app with a test text which he also got. I then tried texting him from the Phone app, Contacts, and that also went to his phone text, not email. Resolved.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 5, 2022 9:51 AM in response to gw128

Fixed it.

That person sent me a test text, which I received. I responded back from the Message app with a test text which he also got. I then tried texting him from the Phone app, Contacts, and that also went to his phone text, not email. Resolved.

Sent text goes to one recipient's email instead of their mobile number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.