You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing time machine backup from previous iMac

My old 27" iMac (using Catalina) bit the bullet . I have a new 24" iMac and I have been trying to access the time machine backups (made to a networked Synology) but I cannot seem to load it. Time Machine on the new machine only shows me time machine backups made on the new iMac (of which there are none so far... I have not completed setup). I can navigate to the backup using Finder, I can show package contents within the backupbundle... I just can't mount it. There are some folders, files, databases within this backup that I need but I have been unable to get to them. Last backup was in early November when the iMac drive died.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 3:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 4:32 PM

Open TM then use shift-command-c which should open your drive structure. Click on your Macintosh HD drive. You can then click through to your user name and find files back in time.

Similar questions

2 replies

Accessing time machine backup from previous iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.