You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More storage space on time capsule

I have a 3TB time capsule (purchased in 2016). I use it to back up 2 MacBook Pros using time machine. The time capsule is getting full now. Can I expand it with an external HDD, or another time capsule, or any other suggestions? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 3:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 3:51 PM

Do you really need all the backups on the Time Capsule from weeks, months, even years going back in time? If not, you can simply use AirPort Utility to erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with new backups of each Mac.

If you want to keep all the old backups.......few users ever need them.......then you can add a 3 TB USB drive to the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy all of the data on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive. Then......you can erase the Time Capsule drive and start over again with new backups of each Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2021 3:51 PM in response to DHB64

Do you really need all the backups on the Time Capsule from weeks, months, even years going back in time? If not, you can simply use AirPort Utility to erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with new backups of each Mac.

If you want to keep all the old backups.......few users ever need them.......then you can add a 3 TB USB drive to the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy all of the data on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive. Then......you can erase the Time Capsule drive and start over again with new backups of each Mac.

More storage space on time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.