You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Sound

I started to download the Big Sur 11.2.2 update on my iMac, but but when I stopped the download after an hour, there was no longer a startup sound. Today I updated to Monterey, but there is still no startup sound. My sound setting is checked to play them. Tech support tried running in safe mode, then trying 'repair'. After the repair, the startup sound worked when I rebooted, but just that one time. Now it's not working again. Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 10:32 AM

15 replies

Dec 29, 2021 12:39 PM in response to NightNJ

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and toggle the sound off and on. Then reboot normally to see if it's working.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 29, 2021 11:37 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your reply. I should have told you in advance that I checked my sound settings and "play Sound on Startup" is checked. I've turned it off, then on again, but still no sound. I also unplugged my MAC to reset it, then ran 'repair' but none of that didn't helped either. If you can think of anything else, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Dec 29, 2021 1:06 PM in response to tbirdvet

The startup sound was working in Big Sur, until I interrupted the 11.2.2 update last night. That's when the startup sound disappeared. It still wasn't working this morning, so I I decided to install Monterey instead, which I did through MAC OS Internet Recovery. The installation went well, but the startup sound still didn't work. I've tried every fix that tech support recommended, but none of them worked. I know that the sound is there because it worked twice after repairing my drive and rebooting, but only those 2 times. There must be some way to fix it, but I can't find it.

Jan 1, 2022 6:26 PM in response to BBrentD

I think you’re right, Brent. I lost the startup sound when I tried to download the Big Sur update, and even updating to Monterey didn’t bring it back. Believe me, I’ve tried every possible fix, including reinstalling Monterey, but nothing worked.

Now tech support is turning to an Apple engineer to find out if there’s a solution. The one thing I refuse to do is erase my hard drive and start over. The startup sound isn’t worth it.

I’ll keep you all posted so that if there’s a fix for this, it may help someone else.

Startup Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.