You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie working on OS X Monterey v12.1?

There were several issues with iMovie on Monterey 12.0.1 that made iMovie for all intents and purposes unusable. Extended library load times (could be hours or total lock up). Taking hours to export a five minute movie project to a file. Were these issues resolved in 12.1? I did not see iMovie mentioned in the release notes for 12.1. I personally can't upgrade until I know. The upgrade to Catalina severely hurt some things I do professionally with the way it crashed when using iMovie. Don't want to live through that again.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 6:14 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 20, 2021 8:58 AM in response to Rich839

... There have been several reports on this forum of performance issues with Monterey/iMovie. ... I would just wait until Apple fixes the issues.

Yep. After the fiasco that was the initial upgrade to Catalina, I Googled up iMovie issues before even considering upgrading and read all about the issues with Monterey on this forum. So waiting is exactly what I'm doing. Thus, this question about the new 12.1 release. The fixes in Catalina that resolved the problems with iMovie weren't really well documented in release notes either. But Big Sur is still working. So staying put for now.

Any Monterey and iMovie users reading this see their issues go away in 12.1?

Dec 21, 2021 9:26 PM in response to fieldposition

I'm using iMovie 10.3.1 with Monterey 12.1 and things seem to be working fine. I've imported video and exported projects with what I would consider normal operation time. I've added titles, transitions, audio, extracted audio all with no delays.

Believe it or not up until iMovie 10.3.1, I've still been using iMovie HD6 with Mohave.

I may not be using all the features you do, but iMovie is working for me.

iMovie working on OS X Monterey v12.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.