You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Regarding The AirPods Pro

I have been facing some issues with my AirPods Pro specifically the left one on MacBook Pro. The pair works fine on my iPhone, however the left AirPod on Mac does not play audio when connected in pair. If I use it standalone then it works fine the moment I put the right AirPod in as well the left one does not play any audio and only the right plays all the audio. I have reset and cleaned the AirPods but none seem to have fixed the issue. I have updated all devices to latest versions as well but also did not resolve the issue. Is there anything I can do or do I have to wait for a patch.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 9:39 PM

12 replies

Dec 14, 2021 10:13 PM in response to Shady_Vader

Shady_Vader Said:

"Regarding The AirPods Pro: I have been facing some issues with my AirPods Pro specifically the left one on MacBook Pro. The pair works fine on my iPhone, however the left AirPod on Mac does not play audio when connected in pair. [...]Is there anything I can do or do I have to wait for a patch."

-------

Backup, then Update Mac:

If not working with your Mac, then update. Seeing macOS 12.1 Sierra being your installed macOS, backup your Mac, and then updating your Mac to the most recent, compatible version.

IN DEPTH...

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Dec 14, 2021 10:33 PM in response to Shady_Vader

Shady_Vader Said:

"Regarding The AirPods Pro: I am on MacOS Monterey version 12.1 and I have the 13-inch 2020 model, and as I have mentioned before I have updated everything and still facing the same issue on Mac."

-------

😊Silly me about the macOS.

Some things to refer to about the AirPods. Some, you have already mentioned.

Troubleshooting AirPods Connectivity:

Start Here: Connect your AirPods and AirPods Pro to your iPhone - Apple Support

Still Having Issues? If so, refer to the following....

A Few Thoughts to Try:

A. Visit Apple Support links:

B. Verify the Balance:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Accessibility
  4. Scroll Down: to Hearing
  5. Adjust: the audio volume balance

C. Also, Clear Out Earwax:

How to Clean your AirPods and EarPods - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2021 10:32 PM in response to Shady_Vader

Shady_Vader Said:

"Regarding The AirPods Pro: I am on MacOS Monterey version 12.1 and I have the 13-inch 2020 model, and as I have mentioned before I have updated everything and still facing the same issue on Mac.

-------

Troubleshooting AirPods Power:

A. A Few Links to Visit:

B. Try the Following Tasks:

• Hold Down the Button on the case for about 15 seconds.

• Use an Apple Brand Cable - not a third party one - cool though it may look, a fabric, third-part cable would likely tear - (Apple cable's are plastic and are intended for Apple)

• Remove the AirPod from the Case, then place it back in the charger. Perhaps it need to resync with he charger.

Dec 14, 2021 10:58 PM in response to Shady_Vader

Shady_Vader Said:

"Regarding The AirPods Pro: I have tried a number of things at this point such seating and reseating the the AirPods and yes both the AirPods are charging.: [...]The issue is just limited to my Mac. Also noice cancelling and transparency mode just work fine it's just the Audio that is not playing through the left one."

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Volume:

What Comes to Mind:

I can think of a bunch of things to Try:

A. Verify the Connection:

See if the speaker is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Select:: About this Mac...
  4. Click: System Report... button
  5. Select: Bluetooth (on the left of screen)
  6. Look For: this Bluetooth device

B. Try Reseting the Core Audio:

Type the following command in Terminal:

sudo killall coreaudiod

C. Perform a SMC and NVRAM Reset:

(Applies to Intel-Only Macs): Sometimes changes are made to the system(i.e. updates) and then settings (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac.

D. Single Out this User:

Create an administrator to temporary use. Then, try the using them with that user. If it works, then it is a mis configuration with the current user. If it does not work, then it is an issue with the macOS itself.

E. Try in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. In Safe ModeLogin Items do not load at login, certain System Preferences are set aside, and damed system file (i.e. caches) are intentionally fixed.

and...

F. As a Last Resort...

Reinstalling the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: First, Back Up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a backup of your Mac, prior to making any major changes to it (i.e. update installation)

Dec 14, 2021 10:42 PM in response to TheLittles

I have tried a number of things at this point such seating and reseating the the AirPods and yes both the AirPods are charging.

I have done couple f resets and connected them with my iPhone.

Cleaning the AirPods but since I do it on a regular basis I don't think this was the issue.

The issue simply does not exist on iPhone it seems to work just fine on it it's only on the Mac where it refuses to play any audio form the left AirPod when both the AirPods are in my ear but if I were to put the the right one back in case then the left one plays the audio like nothing is wrong with it. The issue is just limited to my Mac. Also noice cancelling and transparency mode just work fine it's just the Audio that is not playing through the left one.

Dec 15, 2021 10:39 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank You for all those suggestions but when I reset the core audio of my MacBook Pro while having my AirPods Pro connected and now no audio is playing through the AirPods Pro on my Mac have tried restarting the MacBook Pro and resetting the AirPods Pro's but it still does not play any audio when connected to my MacBook Pro. Any solution to get them working since I reset my core audio.

Dec 15, 2021 10:53 PM in response to Shady_Vader

Shady_Vader Said:

"Regarding The AirPods Pro: Thank You for all those suggestions but when I reset the core audio of my MacBook Pro while having my AirPods Pro connected and now no audio is playing through the AirPods Pro on my Mac: Any solution to get them working since I reset my core audio."

-------

You are welcome.

Did you Try and of these with Success?...

D. Single Out this User

E. Try in Safe Mode

F. Reinstalling the macOS

Regarding The AirPods Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.