You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

billing through paypal

Why is Apple billing me through Paypal now, and does that mean I'm out a fee for Paypal plus the charge on Apple? If so, how do I eliminate Paypal as middleman?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 1:47 PM

Thank you for the reply! I did what you said, and paypal is listed as a payment method. I tried to remove it, but it won't do it. It says "there is an active subscription on this account that requires at least one payment on file." I must have set up the account by pushing a button somewhere sometime (who knows?) Unfortunately, now everything I purchase through Apple gets billed through Paypal. I went to Paypal, and there's no option to opt out. Still stuck.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for the reply! I did what you said, and paypal is listed as a payment method. I tried to remove it, but it won't do it. It says "there is an active subscription on this account that requires at least one payment on file." I must have set up the account by pushing a button somewhere sometime (who knows?) Unfortunately, now everything I purchase through Apple gets billed through Paypal. I went to Paypal, and there's no option to opt out. Still stuck.

Dec 12, 2021 1:21 PM in response to jimmysmom2

Apple will only bill you through Paypal if you set up your account to bill through Paypal. You had to set it up, because Apple doesn’t know anything about your Paypal account unless you tell them. Go to Settings/[your name]/Payment & Shipping. What payment methods are listed? If Paypal isn’t listed Apple is not billing you through Paypal.

As a further check, log in to https://paypal.com and see if you have any Apple transactions.

If you are only getting emails or texts saying you have Paypal transactions they are probably scams to steal your identity. See→Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Dec 12, 2021 1:54 PM in response to jimmysmom2

You can add another payment method, then remove Paypal→Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support. You can also add a credit card to Paypal and make it the default Paypal payment method. And to answer your other question, you don’t pay an extra fee to use Paypal. Some credit cards even give a discount or a cash back if you bill to the card through Paypal.

billing through paypal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.