You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie bloats files, no matter settings -- why? how to fix?

I'm running Zoom meetings for a public body in my rural community - as to why that matters, see below. Stitching together two segments of a Zoom meeting -- one that was 350MB in Quicktime, the other 30MB in Quicktime - using iMovie, and selecting a lower resolution and low SD quality - resulted in a file that was almost 800MB large. If I select the same resolution but still lower quality, the file is 1.64GB. If I add a 2 second title page displaying just the date and name of the meeting, it is roughly 1.7GB.

I am checking the inspector info in both QT and iMovie and adjusting downward at every turn on all metrics.

Can someone help me understand why this is so and how to fix it (or what other (free) program could achieve better results)? This matters both for local storage but also uploading for public viewing. A file of 1.5GB requires 4-5 hours at our local speeds.

Tx,

Cara

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 5:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 9:03 AM

Hi, Cara,

iMovie's algorithm is exporting a movie that is less compressed and/or higher bitrate than the clips that you imported into it. Hence, larger file size. Usually this is a good thing. In your situation, however, file size is of critical importance.

One thing that you can try is to choose "Custom" under the Quality setting tab in the export box. You will see a slider where you can lower the bitrate and thus the file size.

Another thing that you can try is to export your iMovie project to your email. Under the resolution heading you will have size selections that you can make, from Small, Medium, Large, and HD.

Pick a smaller size and click on Share. After you have shared to email drag the movie from your email to your desktop. If you chose the Small size you will get a smaller sized .mov file on your desktop. The Medium setting may work for you as well.

Experiment a little and see what methods work best for your purpose.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2021 9:03 AM in response to dogdaysrhere

Hi, Cara,

iMovie's algorithm is exporting a movie that is less compressed and/or higher bitrate than the clips that you imported into it. Hence, larger file size. Usually this is a good thing. In your situation, however, file size is of critical importance.

One thing that you can try is to choose "Custom" under the Quality setting tab in the export box. You will see a slider where you can lower the bitrate and thus the file size.

Another thing that you can try is to export your iMovie project to your email. Under the resolution heading you will have size selections that you can make, from Small, Medium, Large, and HD.

Pick a smaller size and click on Share. After you have shared to email drag the movie from your email to your desktop. If you chose the Small size you will get a smaller sized .mov file on your desktop. The Medium setting may work for you as well.

Experiment a little and see what methods work best for your purpose.

-- Rich

iMovie bloats files, no matter settings -- why? how to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.