You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking MacBook Pro with Watch

I cannot unlock my new MacBook Pro with my watch. This feature worked fine with the current watch and my last MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM

7 replies

Dec 1, 2021 9:40 AM in response to PastorLarryHerald

Hello PastorLarryHarald,

It sounds like you are unable to unlock your MacBook Pro with your Apple Watch. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

Let's verify all of the settings and requirements are met from this article: Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Which watchOS and macOS version are you currently using? Which Apple Watch do you currently have?

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2021 1:54 PM in response to PastorLarryHerald

Larry,

Thank you for those details.

Next, let's unpair your Apple Watch and set up as new. A backup will be created when you unpair:

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch

Once that is completed, test to see if the issue persists.

If it works you can restore your backup and test again: Restore Apple Watch from a backup

This will hep us further isolate the issue to determine the cause.

Take Care!

Dec 1, 2021 12:20 PM in response to barberlives123

It appears that all settings and requirements are met.

Apple Watch Series 6, WatchOS 8.1

MacBook Pro 16 inch (November 2021), macOS Monterey 12.0.1

I traded in my previous MacBook Pro in November 2021 for the new MacBook Pro Max. Everything worked fine with my current watch and previous MacBook Pro. When I moved everything to the new MacBook Pro Max everything works now except unlocking with my watch.

I have tried everything I can find online and in the forums etc. Nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my watch to factory settings and starting over with the watch.

Thanks,

Larry

Unlocking MacBook Pro with Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.