You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hi i forget my itunes encrypted backups password how can get it

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:43 AM

Hello. If you have forgotten the password for an encrypted backup, you will be unable to recover it. Your best option will be to reset your backup password in order to make new encrypted backups. If your device is running iOS 11 or later, you can do this by following the below steps:

1. On your device, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings and enter your device passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home Screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to the Finder or iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup using the steps above.

If you have an older device, such as one running iOS 10 or earlier, you will be unable to reset the password. If this is the case, you will need to follow the steps below:

More information regarding encrypted backups is available here.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2021 10:43 AM in response to shafeeq1984

Hello. If you have forgotten the password for an encrypted backup, you will be unable to recover it. Your best option will be to reset your backup password in order to make new encrypted backups. If your device is running iOS 11 or later, you can do this by following the below steps:

1. On your device, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings and enter your device passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home Screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to the Finder or iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup using the steps above.

If you have an older device, such as one running iOS 10 or earlier, you will be unable to reset the password. If this is the case, you will need to follow the steps below:

More information regarding encrypted backups is available here.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.