You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Set up

Just bought a brand new mac mini with an apple magic keyboard and a Logitech mouse. Everything is plugged in and turned on. when I start the computer, it won't go past the screen that tells you to turn on the keyboard and mouse. The computer has been on for hours. Any suggestions, thanks.

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 9:57 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'm a bit stresses these day's and one of the few thing's that I need right now is for trivial things to hang me up. I've been dealing with tech issues for the last month, internet, computer the hole deal and all the corners. Now after almost $2,000 in equipment and subscriptions I find that it's all for nothing because of a mouse! and the fact that you can't sub

a basic mouse! or for that fact a keyboard too. You pay for a premium product and then get shook down for the mouse and keyboard, P.S. the product isn't going to work unless you buy a mouse and keyboard that you may or may not need or want. So I need to have a apple keyboard and mouse on hand to even get to the start page after first start up, because FileVault keeps out anything that ain't Mac! and then use that mouse to allow an off brand mouse and keyboard to work! and then on the off chance when the computer reboots and kicks out the aftermarket mouse and keyboard, you will need to do the process of getting past the login page with the apple kit and then be able to use the after market "Better" Keyboard and mouse! WOW! And the final thing is that I said to myself, get the apple stuff because you know there's going to be an issue. SO I conceded and now have on the way an apple magic mouse! Congrats you won! you got that last $89.99 Cdn out of me!

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2021 9:57 PM in response to WESTCOASTHOPKINS

Thank you for the reply. I'm a bit stresses these day's and one of the few thing's that I need right now is for trivial things to hang me up. I've been dealing with tech issues for the last month, internet, computer the hole deal and all the corners. Now after almost $2,000 in equipment and subscriptions I find that it's all for nothing because of a mouse! and the fact that you can't sub

a basic mouse! or for that fact a keyboard too. You pay for a premium product and then get shook down for the mouse and keyboard, P.S. the product isn't going to work unless you buy a mouse and keyboard that you may or may not need or want. So I need to have a apple keyboard and mouse on hand to even get to the start page after first start up, because FileVault keeps out anything that ain't Mac! and then use that mouse to allow an off brand mouse and keyboard to work! and then on the off chance when the computer reboots and kicks out the aftermarket mouse and keyboard, you will need to do the process of getting past the login page with the apple kit and then be able to use the after market "Better" Keyboard and mouse! WOW! And the final thing is that I said to myself, get the apple stuff because you know there's going to be an issue. SO I conceded and now have on the way an apple magic mouse! Congrats you won! you got that last $89.99 Cdn out of me!

Nov 22, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Cryptopher

Hi Cryptopher,

So, I would suggest restarting in Safe mode. If you can and once in Safe mode, use the keyboard, great. I suspect the mouse though may need additional work, in that (I am grasping here) the Logitech receiver may need to be (somehow) permissioned to allow you to use the mouse with the OS. Best to check Logitech's website to see what they can also help you with on this.

Now, if you could tell use the Mac and OS version you're using, it might help further. I suspect a Mac mini M1 and MacOS Monterey 12.0 or 12.0.1. But please confirm.

Cheers,

Anthony

Nov 22, 2021 8:07 PM in response to Cryptopher

They should put in the product description that you HAVE to BUY the Apple accessories or it's not going to work. Nothing like getting to the moment when you get read to use you're new computer and come to find out that you can't because you didn't purchase all the required accessories , Mouse and keyboard from apple. so I don't get to use the thing that I purchased because I didn't buy enough from them. So Now I have to track down a mouse or BUY an Apple one, one that I can't find right now thanks to Covid! So I can't even buy one if I wanted to! So I get to write this on my clapped out old *** dell lap top rather then enjoying the thing that I worked hard to enjoy and serve me! I would just send this back but hey! I'm a Canadian consumer so I'll just **** and moan about this while I'm filling out the C.C. field at another online retailer, giving more money in order to get the thing that I bought to work! Pretty bad when I buy a new Computer and now at 11:00 Pm I'm trying to bum a Mouse in order to get this thing started.

Nov 22, 2021 8:25 PM in response to Cryptopher

Hi Cryptopher,

Glad to hear the cause was determined and sorry that you had to spend hard earned Loonies on the Logitech mouse and not have it work in this scenario. Sadly, I have come to the same situation previously, due to hardware issues with Logitech mice and the USB receiver and so, have fallen back to wired keyboard and mouse setup. The reason is, though the wireless idea is great, the issues of reboot and logging into a Mac that isn't responding to wireless or BT reception (or gets flakey), make going to wired route a sure solution to the oversold idea of wireless connectivity.

Mac Mini Set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.