You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete old Time Machine back ups and keep only newest one for computer I no longer have

Hi, I want to delete old Time Machine back ups from an external drive to free up space. However, I want to make sure that the latest back up (which is several years old) remains and does not get corrupted so that I can continue to access files from it. I no longer have the actual computer that these are back ups of, so I cannot risk corrupting anything and cannot make a new Time Machine back up (nor can I rely on Time Machine to automatically remove old back ups in this case). Is it possible to remove old ones without corrupting the latest one, and if so, how do I it?

When I enter Time Machine, there is no gear icon like there used to be and no Delete backup option, neither in the ellipsis nor when I right click.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 10:58 AM

pgugger wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think I could copy the whole Backups.backupdb to another external drive and then delete from this particular external drive without much risk? In general I have never tried moving or copying the back up folder from one drive to another...

It looks like you are on Monterey. Have a look at this link, noting that there are separate drop down menus with different instructions for Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-the-time-machine-backup-disk-is-full-mh15137/10.15/mac/10.15

Look at instructions for each operating system. Each says

"If you do run out of space, it’s best to connect a new backup disk. After you connect the new disk, open Time Machine preferences, then select it as your Time Machine backup disk."

But for Catalina, it also says "If you connect a larger disk and wish to preserve your existing backup history, you can copy the Backups.backupdb folder from the old disk to the new one. Use Finder, and not Terminal or any other app, to copy the Backups.backupdb folder. (The folder is large, and it may take a long time to copy.)"

Looking online, one can find many accounts of people trying to do this and some not succeeding, primarily due to the size and complexity of the Backups.backupdb folder, the process can take days.

But notably, for Big Sur and Monterey this additional instruction is not there in Apple's support article. In other words, Apple does not recommend trying to copy the existing Time Machine backup from the original drive to a new one, for Big Sur and Monterey. Not sure why, but note that APFS (not HFS+) is used for Time Machine backups starting with Big Sur and the backup process and file architecture changed starting with Big Sur.

So I think the safer approach is to keep the old backup drive as is.

Here is what I suggest to preserve this backup of a computer you no longer have access to. Obtain a fresh new external drive. Install a bootable MacOS on that external drive, must be the same or newer versus what is on your Time Machine backup that you are concerned about. On that external bootable drive, create only one new administrator user, say ADMIN. Then boot into that external drive and run Migration Assistant to migrate everything from that older Time Machine backup you want to preserve to that new external drive, user accounts and files. Now you have everything from your old Mac but in native Mac file format. You can then make "clones" of that new external drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or other utilities) so you have multiple copies and the files are easily accessible with the finder.

Unless you do something like this, you are trusting (hoping) that your one and only Time Machine backup of that old computer will last forever, which it will not. Someday it will stop working.

You can certainly TRY to copy the Time Machine backup to another drive, but I would not delete anything from the original Time Machine backup until you have carefully verified that the copy worked and all the backed up files are accessible.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2021 10:58 AM in response to pgugger

pgugger wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you think I could copy the whole Backups.backupdb to another external drive and then delete from this particular external drive without much risk? In general I have never tried moving or copying the back up folder from one drive to another...

It looks like you are on Monterey. Have a look at this link, noting that there are separate drop down menus with different instructions for Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-the-time-machine-backup-disk-is-full-mh15137/10.15/mac/10.15

Look at instructions for each operating system. Each says

"If you do run out of space, it’s best to connect a new backup disk. After you connect the new disk, open Time Machine preferences, then select it as your Time Machine backup disk."

But for Catalina, it also says "If you connect a larger disk and wish to preserve your existing backup history, you can copy the Backups.backupdb folder from the old disk to the new one. Use Finder, and not Terminal or any other app, to copy the Backups.backupdb folder. (The folder is large, and it may take a long time to copy.)"

Looking online, one can find many accounts of people trying to do this and some not succeeding, primarily due to the size and complexity of the Backups.backupdb folder, the process can take days.

But notably, for Big Sur and Monterey this additional instruction is not there in Apple's support article. In other words, Apple does not recommend trying to copy the existing Time Machine backup from the original drive to a new one, for Big Sur and Monterey. Not sure why, but note that APFS (not HFS+) is used for Time Machine backups starting with Big Sur and the backup process and file architecture changed starting with Big Sur.

So I think the safer approach is to keep the old backup drive as is.

Here is what I suggest to preserve this backup of a computer you no longer have access to. Obtain a fresh new external drive. Install a bootable MacOS on that external drive, must be the same or newer versus what is on your Time Machine backup that you are concerned about. On that external bootable drive, create only one new administrator user, say ADMIN. Then boot into that external drive and run Migration Assistant to migrate everything from that older Time Machine backup you want to preserve to that new external drive, user accounts and files. Now you have everything from your old Mac but in native Mac file format. You can then make "clones" of that new external drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or other utilities) so you have multiple copies and the files are easily accessible with the finder.

Unless you do something like this, you are trusting (hoping) that your one and only Time Machine backup of that old computer will last forever, which it will not. Someday it will stop working.

You can certainly TRY to copy the Time Machine backup to another drive, but I would not delete anything from the original Time Machine backup until you have carefully verified that the copy worked and all the backed up files are accessible.

Nov 20, 2021 8:08 AM in response to pgugger

Have never attempted, so take any advised offered and pause long enough for More Learned Contributors to join into your question. That is what is suggested before moving forwards with below.

https://appletoolbox.com/transfer-your-time-machine-backups-to-a-new-drive-with-this-guide/

https://www.howtogeek.com/335090/how-to-migrate-a-time-machine-backup-to-another-drive/

Nov 21, 2021 7:13 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, I decided to keep the drive intact, in part because of your advice and in part because when I tried to copy it would not allow it due to drive formatting differences (old drive was MacOS Journaled and new is APFS). I also copied some important files from the TM back up to a regular folder just in case the TM backup becomes useless some day.

Delete old Time Machine back ups and keep only newest one for computer I no longer have

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.