You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not a new question; I see many others with same failure for Target Display Mode

There's plenty of discussion on this topic. Just as others, I've followed all steps to use mid-2011 27" iMac in

Target Display Mode to 'No Joy' results.

I did get, at least, some keyboard recognition by 'matching keyboard settings' especially 'Use F1,F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. That settings change got recognition, tone sound, as I pressed 'Fn key to use the special features printed on each key. But, no result other than the tone, so I eliminated that Function Key choice as standard functions keys.

I am using the, many years used, USB Keyboard on the iMac

I am using the, many years used, BlueTooth Keyboard for my new 2018 Intel Mac Mini

Using FlowChart & Scientific Method to retrace each step, I've followed every option discussed in the Target Display Mode article. I'm still failing to implement Target Display Mode.

So, I understand there are plenty of frustrated users who dream of keeping their old 'qualified' iMac as a Great Display Monitor.

I'll give it a rest for today; perhaps back to the task tomorrow.

Thanks for the chance to investigate and discuss this 'popular iMac TDM' subject.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 4:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 2:35 PM

OK - finally got my 'Amazon ordered' USB-C to MiniDisplayPort Cable. Today I'll attempt to follow the Apple 'Use your iMac as a display with target display mode' Apple Support directions. This attempt will follow 'ishkel22' advice to avoid using a 'adapted' cable in favor of a 'complete USB-C to Micro Display Port' One Piece Cable. And, of course, I'll 'Log In to, only, the Intel 2018 Mac Mini(Mac OS 10.15.6 macOS Catalina.

Eureka! Success; I'm able to use two monitors with one Mouse & KeyBoard!

Now, to work out failure of using iMac as 'output speakers' for the Mac Mini. If I can't get that to work, I'll buy a BOSE BluTooth to produce good sound from the Mac Mini.

BTW - it 'WAS' the One Piece Cable which worked. As others have advised, ditching the 'USB-C to Adapter-MiniPort' failed for me just as they explained on their own set up attempts.

The iMac display is, as always, gorgeous; and with the inexpensive Dell Display I bought I will try increasing productivity with two display and cross display apps and display.

Good Luck to those considering this way to keep your old iMac as a 'Great Display'. I'll now need to buy a external Camera if I want to use the Mac Mini for Visual Images via Network.

ChipDale

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2021 2:35 PM in response to ChipDale

OK - finally got my 'Amazon ordered' USB-C to MiniDisplayPort Cable. Today I'll attempt to follow the Apple 'Use your iMac as a display with target display mode' Apple Support directions. This attempt will follow 'ishkel22' advice to avoid using a 'adapted' cable in favor of a 'complete USB-C to Micro Display Port' One Piece Cable. And, of course, I'll 'Log In to, only, the Intel 2018 Mac Mini(Mac OS 10.15.6 macOS Catalina.

Eureka! Success; I'm able to use two monitors with one Mouse & KeyBoard!

Now, to work out failure of using iMac as 'output speakers' for the Mac Mini. If I can't get that to work, I'll buy a BOSE BluTooth to produce good sound from the Mac Mini.

BTW - it 'WAS' the One Piece Cable which worked. As others have advised, ditching the 'USB-C to Adapter-MiniPort' failed for me just as they explained on their own set up attempts.

The iMac display is, as always, gorgeous; and with the inexpensive Dell Display I bought I will try increasing productivity with two display and cross display apps and display.

Good Luck to those considering this way to keep your old iMac as a 'Great Display'. I'll now need to buy a external Camera if I want to use the Mac Mini for Visual Images via Network.

ChipDale

Nov 19, 2021 1:18 PM in response to KiltedTim

My original post on this subject cited 'Mid 2011 27" iMac' and new 2018 Intel Mac Mini; that fits the profile for TDM success. Both Mac's fit the OS required to accomplish TDM.

However, surfing my AppleTV before sleep last night, I came across 'ishkel22' explaining a different 'Model-13" M1 MacBook Pro'

using her 2009 iMac as External Display with 'the same USB-C to Micro Display Port Cable' I'm using for my TDM effort.

Her discussion cited a step which is missing from the 'May 22 2021 use your iMac as a Display with Target Display Mode'. That is: Step 1 - Make sure that your iMac is started up and meets the System Requirements above.

'Step 1' does NOT include 'ishkel22' explanation thus: 'turn on the iMac to the LogIn Screen but DO NOT LogIn'

Later today I'll try 'ishkel22' method for her DIFFERENT EQUIPMENT TDM connection; I'll 'NOT LOGIN' my mid-2011 27" iMac before using 'Command F2' to initiate my iMac in TDM.

The original Apple Support article, if read precisely, also does not mention 'LOGIN of the iMac'. So, should the 'ishkel22' method of DO NOT Login the iMac' work for me, or not, I'll update this thread with 'TDM accomplished' or 'No Joy' later today.

BTW - Thanks for all the discussion on this subject!

Dec 5, 2021 3:13 PM in response to ChipDale

It's not worth having outdated versions of macOS just for Target Display Mode. Using a standard external display is a much better solution. And, chances are, Target Display Mode won't even work or work reliably at all.

With macOS Catalina getting older, soon you'll get little to no security updates and be on your own. You are also missing out on new features and letting your relatively new Mac, with so much macOS support, be left behind over one feature.

Unfortunately, Target Display Mode is dead.

Dec 6, 2021 11:52 AM in response to Jack-19

Thanks Jack-19! You stated that which I expected; Apple will eventually abandon Mac OS Catalina. As well, Apple will eventually stop Support for my Intel 2018 Mac Mini too.

I'll eventually buy a New Large Display for my Mac Mini; for now I can use the

fabulous iMac in TDM.

Perhaps some Hobbyist may find other ways to keep old iMac in service as a

Display; there's already one device available using Wireless Tech. I'll wait to see how that Device 'pans out' because I prefer Closed Wired Ethernet security over WiFi or Bluetooth. Ah yes, evolution is 'a gas' isn't it?

This Apple Community is a excellent 'User Group' example of Great Support for all Apple Corps Users. I salute all long time Experienced Users such as You who

'iron out' problems, failures, and successful remedies here!

Thanks - ChipDale

Not a new question; I see many others with same failure for Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.