You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Christmas gift new phone using trade in

I would like to purchase a new iPhone as a Christmas gift. I have a trade-in but want to purchase the iPhone now but only provide the trade-in after Christmas. Is it possible? Or even better, is there a way to order a new phone now, so that the one I want doesn’t run out of stock and will arrive in time or be held for me, but have an arrival or pickup date close to Christmas so that the trade in can be returned within the 14 days but after Christmas?? I would think a lot of people are in this predicament and there should be a program to make an iPhone Christmas gift go smoothly…

iPhone 13

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 12:59 PM

8 replies

Nov 11, 2021 11:09 AM in response to cherilyn240

Hi cherilyn240,

We can certainly understand that you'd like to purchase a new iPhone now and complete the trade-in later. It's recommended that you connect with the Apple Online Store for additional assistance regarding holiday purchases. Use the link below and if necessary, select your country or region from the bottom-right corner of the page and click continue to have it reflect relevant information for your location.

Contacting Apple

Cheers and thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Dec 13, 2021 10:10 AM in response to cherilyn240

This is a serious shortcoming in Apple's Customer Service program re. holiday gifts.

If you want to buy a new iPhone with trade-in or utilize your iPhone Upgrade program, and order in advance to be sure you have it for a holiday gift, you run the risk of running into a trade-in deadline SNAFU.

In the past, I have called for an extension, and was told, "don't worry; the trade-in can be sent back after Christmas."

The year, even with all the warnings about shipping delays, I am told by the customer service woman on the phone that Apple is sticking to with deadlines. I have to call on a deadline date and order a new trade in box, and I run the risk of the trade-in value not being the same as originally quoted. (Though I think this is for straight trade-ins, and not the upgrade program.)

***Around the holidays, PLEASE, APPLE: create a 30 day trade-in window for holiday gift-giving.***

Christmas gift new phone using trade in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.