You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad charging cord

I updated to a new iPad and, of course, it requires a different size charging cord. I have chargers all over my house and none of them work with my new iPad. I am beyond frustrated at this attempt to make me purchase more Apple products. Is there an adapter that I can use so that I can connect my old - but perfectly usable - charging cords to my new iPad?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 6:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 7:00 AM

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. Many of the more recent models are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have an Apple-proprietary Lightning connector - or a USB-C port.

Charging cables must obviously match the equipment that you have. In essence, depending upon your Power Adapter(s) and iPad model, you are going to need one of three cable types:

1) USB Type A to Apple Lightning

2) USB-C to Apple Lightning

3) USC-C to USB-C

Each of these cable types are typically available in 1m or 2m lengths.

Be aware that if you have a recent model iPad that features a USB-C port, then the iPad supports USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging. When used with a compatible Power Adapter (as are all Apple Power Adapters that have a USB-C connector), your iPad can charge much faster.

Non-Apple Power Adapters, regardless of power rating, might not support USB PD, but instead a different (non compatible) fast charging standard. These Power Adapters, if they work at all, will be unable to charge at any greater than 12W (2.4A @5V).

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2021 7:00 AM in response to MoreAppleCutomerGouging

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. Many of the more recent models are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have an Apple-proprietary Lightning connector - or a USB-C port.

Charging cables must obviously match the equipment that you have. In essence, depending upon your Power Adapter(s) and iPad model, you are going to need one of three cable types:

1) USB Type A to Apple Lightning

2) USB-C to Apple Lightning

3) USC-C to USB-C

Each of these cable types are typically available in 1m or 2m lengths.

Be aware that if you have a recent model iPad that features a USB-C port, then the iPad supports USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging. When used with a compatible Power Adapter (as are all Apple Power Adapters that have a USB-C connector), your iPad can charge much faster.

Non-Apple Power Adapters, regardless of power rating, might not support USB PD, but instead a different (non compatible) fast charging standard. These Power Adapters, if they work at all, will be unable to charge at any greater than 12W (2.4A @5V).

Oct 31, 2021 7:59 PM in response to LotusPilot

I think you've misunderstood my frustration and question. I have an iPhone that requires one size charger cord (where it plugs into the phone). That same size charger cord also fit my previous iPad (where the cord plugs into the iPad). But now I've updated to a newer version of the iPad and all of the charger cords I have all over my house (I have a lot) don't fit into the new iPad. It requires a charger cord with a different size plug that inserts into the iPad. So, I now need 2 different sizes of charger cords (the part that plugs into the iPhone or iPad) and have to purchase charger cords again just because Apple decided to make the plug-in area a different size. I can still use the charger that plugs into my electrical outlets - just can't use the charger cords that I already have on my new iPad. I'm frustrated because this seems to be a racket to require me to spend more money at Apple (or somewhere else) to purchase a bunch of new charger cords that will fit my new iPad but not my iPhone. Plus I'll need to have 2 different sizes of charger cords at each charging station in my house. It's a mess.

And, no there is not a USB port or ear bud port on my new iPad. Only the one port for the charger cord.

I want to know if there is an easy way to adapt the multitude of charger cords that I already have (that fit my current iPhone and my old iPad, but not my new iPad) to fit my new iPad. I'd rather purchase 10 adapters than 10 more cords.

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2021 2:15 AM in response to MoreAppleCutomerGouging

Your frustration is fully understood. To be clear, Apple is not “gouging” in any way.

Your new iPad uses a completely different connector. USB-C (as found on your new iPad) is a completely different interface to that found on your iPhone and previous models of iPad. This is not just a different plug connector of a different size.

You need to use the correct cable. Unlike the proprietary Apple Lightning connector, USB-C is an industry standard. The USB-C standard does not allow the use of simple “adapters”. Unlike approved cables, “adapters” do not contain special circuitry that protects the USB-C interface from electrical damage.

If you prefer an iPad with a Lightning connector, you should return your iPad and exchange it for a older or less-advanced model that still uses a Lightning port. Of the current model range, this will limit you to the iPad9. Many older models, still available through Apple Authorised Resellers, also use a Lightning connector.

New iPad charging cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.