You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy a playlist (including song files) from mac Music to local storage?

I tried dragging and dropping the songs from the Music app window to a folder, but my 2019 iMac (Big Sur) will only copy a small number that way, and the playlist is large (2000 .mp4 songs).

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 7:42 AM

Drag and drop isn't working for me for some reason, at least not with over a thousand files.

I found a way to do it. Try this instead: I go to the playlist I want to transfer, select all, then select "copy" (or press ⌘C); then open the folder I want to transfer the files to with the finder. Put the mouse pointer inside the open folder, and select "paste" (or press ⌘V). Voila! all the music files will be transferred to the folder, which I can then back up on an external drive for safe storage.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Arandel

Drag and drop isn't working for me for some reason, at least not with over a thousand files.

I found a way to do it. Try this instead: I go to the playlist I want to transfer, select all, then select "copy" (or press ⌘C); then open the folder I want to transfer the files to with the finder. Put the mouse pointer inside the open folder, and select "paste" (or press ⌘V). Voila! all the music files will be transferred to the folder, which I can then back up on an external drive for safe storage.

How to copy a playlist (including song files) from mac Music to local storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.