You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix a stuck side button?

I have an Apple Watch series 5 and recently I found the side button sticking sometimes when I’ve wanted to activate Apple Pay on the watch, to the point that I’ve had to press quite hard to activate Apple Pay sometimes. I’ve now found that the side button is permanently pressed in on one side and the button no longer responds.

I’ve seen some posts that have recommended running it under warm water but I have tried this several times to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this please? Any advice would be much appreciated.

The watch is 2 years old so it is out of warranty.

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2021 12:52 PM

It sounds like the spring may be broken. If possible, make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you and let them look at it:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

To get an idea of what it may cost to fix, for repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2021 12:52 PM in response to ak84

It sounds like the spring may be broken. If possible, make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you and let them look at it:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

To get an idea of what it may cost to fix, for repair & service:

watch Repair - Official Apple Support

watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2021 2:26 AM in response to javaliga

Thank you, I made an appointment and as it is out of warranty the repair cost is not worth it. Since then the watch has now stopped working when I picked it up from the charger this morning. Holding down the digital crown gives me an apple logo but that then disappears. I really don't understand how the watch has deteriorated like this. I have always been very careful with it and even the apple genius guy said the watch is in good condition other than the side button as you can see from the report below:

I'm not sure what to do now, I don't think I'd get much for it at trade in either.

Issue: Customer reports that their side button no longer responds or works especially when using Apple Pay.

Steps to Reproduce: Verified at the bar.

Visually inspected device.

Cosmetic Condition: Side button sunken in - no signs of external points of impact. No signs of consumer misuse or physical damage. No signs of liquid damage.

Proposed Resolution: Informed customer issue with Watch is unrepairable - requires a swap repair for Watch replacement at out of warranty cost £319.

Resolution: Service Referral

Reason: Carrier

How do I fix a stuck side button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.