You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD Mini 6th Gen: What to look for in a suitable USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector

I have recently purchased IPAD Mini 6th Gen

My PC only has USB-A Ports, so I need a USB-A to USB-C Cable to sync and backup my IPAD to Itunes.

I've purchased a 3rd party cable but my IPAD isn't detected.

Before I try and buy another cable, What are the technical requirements of a compatible USB-A to USB-C that I need to look for?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 9:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:44 AM

The adapter suggested by ProustGiulo is intended to provide a USB Type-A for your USB-C equipped iPad mini. This arrangement is of no use whatsoever in attempting to connect your iPad to the PC - as you will be attempting to connect USB Type-A (your iPad with suggested adapter) to another USB Type-A (your PC). This connection arrangement is disallowed in the USB standard; you cannot directly interconnect two USB Controller/Root hubs.

USB Type-A connections must always connect to a USB Type-B - or with an appropriate cable, to USB-C.

You were already on the right track in looking for a USB3 Type-A to USB-C cable. A good quality cable, such as those marketed by Apple, should perform the task without issue:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If your iPad is not recognised by your PC when connected, try using a different USB port on your computer. These support pages will help with troubleshooting:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2021 1:44 AM in response to AusUser5

The adapter suggested by ProustGiulo is intended to provide a USB Type-A for your USB-C equipped iPad mini. This arrangement is of no use whatsoever in attempting to connect your iPad to the PC - as you will be attempting to connect USB Type-A (your iPad with suggested adapter) to another USB Type-A (your PC). This connection arrangement is disallowed in the USB standard; you cannot directly interconnect two USB Controller/Root hubs.

USB Type-A connections must always connect to a USB Type-B - or with an appropriate cable, to USB-C.

You were already on the right track in looking for a USB3 Type-A to USB-C cable. A good quality cable, such as those marketed by Apple, should perform the task without issue:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If your iPad is not recognised by your PC when connected, try using a different USB port on your computer. These support pages will help with troubleshooting:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

IPAD Mini 6th Gen: What to look for in a suitable USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.