You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a Time Machine backup from Time Capsule to a USB Disk?

I finally decided to replace my Time Capsule given its age and lack of continued development. I have been using the Time Capsule as a Time Machine target for a MacBook Pro running Big Sur. I have a new USB3 external hard drive that I'd like to use as my new Time Machine backup disk, but I'd like to retain my backup history from the Time Capsule. I spent 5 hours copying my .bundlespare file from the Time Capsule to the drive, only for the Time Machine preferences requiring me to format/erase the drive in order to select it for use. Does anyone know a path forward here?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 10:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 2:26 PM

This may be helpful: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/types-of-disks-you-can-use-with-time-machine-mh15139/mac

Can you even combine the bundles from the Time Capsule with the future backups using HFS+ or APFS? The requirement for reformatting appears to only be for APFS. Could you partition the new disk to keep your old data in a volume and then add a new volume (HFS+ only??) for the ongoing backups. But APFS is apparently preferred as a format for TM.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2021 2:26 PM in response to dahveed311

This may be helpful: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/types-of-disks-you-can-use-with-time-machine-mh15139/mac

Can you even combine the bundles from the Time Capsule with the future backups using HFS+ or APFS? The requirement for reformatting appears to only be for APFS. Could you partition the new disk to keep your old data in a volume and then add a new volume (HFS+ only??) for the ongoing backups. But APFS is apparently preferred as a format for TM.

How do I transfer a Time Machine backup from Time Capsule to a USB Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.