You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Line spacing

I am having a problem, new to my many years of experience with Pages software, with line spacing. I am set on "single spacing." But when I hit return, rather than the cursor going right under the line I have just typed it goes to what I would consider a double-line-space away. I get single spacing if the typing of the line is so long the line goes, without hitting return, onto the next line. But I can't get the nice tight blocks of single spaced writing with partial lines. Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 9:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 11:45 AM

In Pages v11.1, I can write a short sentence and with spacing set to Lines 1, a return begins a new line immediately after the existing sentence.

Without changing that preceding spacing setting but change the After Paragraph setting from 0 pt, which overrides the Spacing setting from the first Paragraph and the next line appears by the After Paragraph amount below the first.

If this is not your issue, then I cannot reproduce it here on macOS 11.5.2 with the current Pages.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2021 11:45 AM in response to MorninDownSouth

In Pages v11.1, I can write a short sentence and with spacing set to Lines 1, a return begins a new line immediately after the existing sentence.

Without changing that preceding spacing setting but change the After Paragraph setting from 0 pt, which overrides the Spacing setting from the first Paragraph and the next line appears by the After Paragraph amount below the first.

If this is not your issue, then I cannot reproduce it here on macOS 11.5.2 with the current Pages.

Line spacing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.