You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts on MacOS Big Sur

I seem to be unable to add a contact from my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2. I can open a blank contact and when I enter the name it immediately switches me to somewhere else in the contact list (unrelated to what I typed!) and adds a "No Name" contact entry at the end of the list of all contacts. I had 11 such "No Name" entries. I can add to my contact list from my iPad and my iPhone. Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 2:00 PM

The fact that you followed @ Luis S. suggestion and doing the Safe Mode may have helped a lot.

That specific Safe Mode does a Disk Repair, clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software.

It appeasr this may have cleared a cache file - they get recreated as needed later - unstuck something. The net result is what is being experienced - a Functional Contacts Application.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2021 2:00 PM in response to valpoMac37

The fact that you followed @ Luis S. suggestion and doing the Safe Mode may have helped a lot.

That specific Safe Mode does a Disk Repair, clear System Cache files and only loads Apple Software.

It appeasr this may have cleared a cache file - they get recreated as needed later - unstuck something. The net result is what is being experienced - a Functional Contacts Application.

Sep 9, 2021 2:48 AM in response to valpoMac37

Does it do the same if you try adding a contact while in Safe Mode?

If it works in Safe Mode, then something you have installed is causing a problem.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Also, as a workaround, if you select one of the "No Name" contacts, and click Edit, can you edit the contact?

Sep 10, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, it did the same thing when I used Safe Mode. But, I did try to edit one of the No Name contacts and that worked. Then, (surprise!) I managed to enter a new contact today and it worked. So, I am not going to pursue this further because the problem may be resolved and/or I can edit a No Name entry if needed. Thanks for the suggestions.

Contacts on MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.