You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant use internet on mac

I am connected to my internet network, yet I cant use google or access the internet at all. It is not a network issue as all other devices work fine. How do i fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 8:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 8:58 AM

Normally there should be no proxy set, if this is a home mac.

If it is a managed mac (like an office or school lab) you may need to check with your IT guy.

If it is a home mac, there is a chance that you may have gotten some adware or other potentially unwanted program that has changed the settings improperly.

I suggest you turn off these proxies, and also run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck so we can evaluate possible infection or other issues.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 7, 2021 8:58 AM in response to nbt111

Normally there should be no proxy set, if this is a home mac.

If it is a managed mac (like an office or school lab) you may need to check with your IT guy.

If it is a home mac, there is a chance that you may have gotten some adware or other potentially unwanted program that has changed the settings improperly.

I suggest you turn off these proxies, and also run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck so we can evaluate possible infection or other issues.

Sep 7, 2021 8:32 AM in response to nbt111

Are you trying to reach a website, in Safari, or another browser? What exactly happens?

How are you connected? Wifi? Ethernet?

Open System Preferences->Network.

What is the color of the dot next to your connection: green, yellow or red?

What are the settings? DHCP?

Does it show a "self-assigned IP" of the form 169.*.*.*?

If it is green but you can't connect, click Advanced, then in turn click DNS and then Proxies, and tell us what you see in each (or better yet, post a screenshot).

Cant use internet on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.