You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t text to an Android without cellular data with my iPad Air

I just spent &500 on an iPad Air & found out this morning I can’t even text to an an android without cellular data. I don’t know if Best Buy lied to me but I wanted cellular data & they told me not available on iPads. Going back today & plan on making a scene. How can Apple cut out texts half the world who have androids. Might be time to change to Samsung.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 5:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 6:01 AM

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/set-up-messages-ipad70482978/ipados

If you have a Wi-Fi-only model, or currently have no cellular plan with SMS, you’ll have to use some other app to chat, and not carrier SMS. SMS is a cellular carrier service, which means cellular and a cellular plan. There are various chat apps available for both iPhone and iPad, a d for Android, a d variously other systems.

A Wi-Fi only iPad (or a cellular model with no active cellular plan) can also send and receive SMS via an associated iPhone with a cellular plan with SMS, via what Apple calls Continuity and Text Forwarding.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2021 6:01 AM in response to Jk4007

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/set-up-messages-ipad70482978/ipados

If you have a Wi-Fi-only model, or currently have no cellular plan with SMS, you’ll have to use some other app to chat, and not carrier SMS. SMS is a cellular carrier service, which means cellular and a cellular plan. There are various chat apps available for both iPhone and iPad, a d for Android, a d variously other systems.

A Wi-Fi only iPad (or a cellular model with no active cellular plan) can also send and receive SMS via an associated iPhone with a cellular plan with SMS, via what Apple calls Continuity and Text Forwarding.

I can’t text to an Android without cellular data with my iPad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.