You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck trying to create a perpetual "Pulsating object" animation in Apple Motion

I'm trying to create a continuously pulsating object. I know I can built it manually adding dozens of scale keyframes etc., but I saw that there is a "Grow/Shrink" motion behavior, and a "Ping Pong" retiming behavior.

Something tells me I should be able to apply the Grow/Shrink animation to my object, and use the Ping Pong behavior to make it pulse continuously, for as long as the object is visible in the timeline, saving me considerable effort compared to the manual keyframe approach.

First I couldn't figure out why I couldn't apply the PingPong to my object, which I had applied a Grow/Shrink behavior to. Apparently I needed to make a clone layer first?

But even with the clone layer, to which I have both the grow/shrink and the ping pong behavior added, it's not pulsating.

Anyone here know the trick?

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 9:47 PM

Adding an Oscillate behavior on the Scale parameter would be better. You'll probably want the Triangle wave option.

You need to set the Amplitude to less than 100% or the shape will "invert" in negative scale. (If you set up the original scale to larger than 100%, you have more room to "play" so to speak.)

Regardless of frame rate, a Speed of 60 gives 1 complete waveform cycle in 1 second of time. If you want 2 "beats" per second, then ramp it up to 120, etc...

You have access to Ping Pong retiming with Clones... the process, for this type of animation isn't worth it, but to be complete:

Set an Out Point on your shape at about 1 second.

Add up the Grow/Shrink behavior to your shape and set up the Grow or Shrink animation.

Select the Group with the Rectangle and make sure its length is the same as the Rectangle (out point @ 1sec).

Clone the Group. In Properties > Timing (select "Show"), set the End Condition to Ping-Pong.

Set the End Duration to a large number (say: 2000).

You can adjust the speed of animation with the Speed parameter.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2021 9:47 PM in response to ltgseb

Adding an Oscillate behavior on the Scale parameter would be better. You'll probably want the Triangle wave option.

You need to set the Amplitude to less than 100% or the shape will "invert" in negative scale. (If you set up the original scale to larger than 100%, you have more room to "play" so to speak.)

Regardless of frame rate, a Speed of 60 gives 1 complete waveform cycle in 1 second of time. If you want 2 "beats" per second, then ramp it up to 120, etc...

You have access to Ping Pong retiming with Clones... the process, for this type of animation isn't worth it, but to be complete:

Set an Out Point on your shape at about 1 second.

Add up the Grow/Shrink behavior to your shape and set up the Grow or Shrink animation.

Select the Group with the Rectangle and make sure its length is the same as the Rectangle (out point @ 1sec).

Clone the Group. In Properties > Timing (select "Show"), set the End Condition to Ping-Pong.

Set the End Duration to a large number (say: 2000).

You can adjust the speed of animation with the Speed parameter.

Aug 20, 2021 12:44 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks Fox. Really like the oscillate approach, which avoids having to create a clone, and as it turns out - a group as well. This was actually why it wasn't working for me. I had cloned the shape, and I had to first put the shape in a group, and then clone the group, and then apply the ping pong behavior. No idea why the Apple Motion requires jumping through those hoops in order to apply a behavior.

Anyhow, much appreciated! I definitely never would have figured out the Oscillate trick! That's some Pro tip if I ever seen one lol.

Stuck trying to create a perpetual "Pulsating object" animation in Apple Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.