You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally spilled water on Macbook

Hello. Good day. I accidentally spilled a small amount of water (1 to 2 tbsp at most) on my trackpad area and to the spacebar.

Here's what happened.

I was doing some work while eating soup. Silly, I know. Then, I accidentally bumped the bowl with my arm. The Macbook was on an elevated position through a laptop stand when it happened. I did my best by turning it off. Unplugging everything. Wiping any fluid that I can. And putting it on a tent position to air dry just in case.

While I was wiping the fluids, the Macbook was still booting up as I pressed the spacebar. The spacebar still works and so does the trackpad. Still, to be safe, I turned it off and finally placed it in its current tent position

It's been an hour since it happened.

Should I be worried? The Macbook is still covered by the limited warranty until March 2022. What are the steps that I could do?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 10:22 PM

Liquids and elecronics do not mix; there is no way for us to tell if there is permanent damage or not. Best thing to do is to start a repair ticket to have Apple assess the damage. If you have the regular factory warranty, spills are not covered - they are if you purchased Applecare plus. Regardless, you do need to have it checked as soon as possible.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2021 10:22 PM in response to euni_cl

Liquids and elecronics do not mix; there is no way for us to tell if there is permanent damage or not. Best thing to do is to start a repair ticket to have Apple assess the damage. If you have the regular factory warranty, spills are not covered - they are if you purchased Applecare plus. Regardless, you do need to have it checked as soon as possible.

Accidentally spilled water on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.