You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old iPod (not a touch) that I’ve used for 15 years. My music was stored on ITunes. Can I still access my music and create playlists if I subscribe to Apple Music or is it gone forever?

I have an old iPod that I’ve used for 15 years and the music was stored through iTunes. If I subscribe to Apple Music can I still access my music and create playlists or is it gone forever?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 9:19 AM

Your iTunes music library is kept locally. So, any music and playlists you created (especially if you began 15 years ago) would be on your computer in the Music folder (if memory serves, haven't used Windows in forever). If you had subscribed to Apple Music recently, or used iTunes Match, your songs may be matched in the cloud. If you didn't keep that active, anything tied to you would be gone.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2021 9:19 AM in response to rryan46

Your iTunes music library is kept locally. So, any music and playlists you created (especially if you began 15 years ago) would be on your computer in the Music folder (if memory serves, haven't used Windows in forever). If you had subscribed to Apple Music recently, or used iTunes Match, your songs may be matched in the cloud. If you didn't keep that active, anything tied to you would be gone.

Aug 18, 2021 10:36 AM in response to rryan46

rryan46 wrote:

…If I subscribe to Apple Music can I still access my music and create playlists or is it gone forever?

Works fine. I have lots of music downloaded from elsewhere and rips of my CD collection, and it’s all available.

If an Apple Music subscription “ate” somebody’s music collection, you’d be able to hear the screaming from the moon.

Apple Music also includes iTunes Match, which means your local music can be sync’d and available to any device or Mac or Windows box logged into your Apple ID, as well as what music you’ve rented from your Apple Music subscription.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/rip-itunes-this-is-what-happens-to-your-apple-music-now/

Do have backups of any data you value. Whether music, documents, books, whatever.

I have an old iPod (not a touch) that I’ve used for 15 years. My music was stored on ITunes. Can I still access my music and create playlists if I subscribe to Apple Music or is it gone forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.