You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Scanner doesn't work with Big Sur

Hi!

I just installed Big Sur and my HP Scanner stopped working:

-I can print from Microsoft Word

-HP Utility works

-HP Smart does not work

-HP Easy Scan does not work: Message: "You don't have permissions. Ask the Administrator" (it is my home computer and scan: I am the Administrator).

I have uninstalled and installed again: nothing.

My HP is Deskjet 2132.

I just bought new expensive ink cartridges, and I really wouldn't like to buy a new printer just to "enjoy" the new Mac OS.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 8:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 2:18 PM

Hi,

Similar Big Sur problems have been reported with scanners from various printer manufacturers. Camp_mother mentioned a solution for Canon in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253010503?answerId=255650000022#255650000022 . Would something like that possibly change anything with your scanner? Power cycling the devices involved may also be worth testing.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2021 2:18 PM in response to lachistera

Hi,

Similar Big Sur problems have been reported with scanners from various printer manufacturers. Camp_mother mentioned a solution for Canon in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253010503?answerId=255650000022#255650000022 . Would something like that possibly change anything with your scanner? Power cycling the devices involved may also be worth testing.

Aug 12, 2021 5:33 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you, Jan Hedlund!!!

It worked!!!!

I write down here the solution, for other users:

"I was able to fix this so I can again use HP Easy Scan. Here's what I did:

• Open FINDER
  • Go to Macintosh HD, then to "/Library/Image Capture/Devices".
  • Right click on HP Scanner 3.app: "Get info"
  • Scroll down until "Sharing and Permissions"
  • Click on the locker to make changes. Introduce your password
  • I added my user id under Sharing & Permissions. (Read only) (clicking on the + sign)
  • I executed (opened) "HP Scanner 3.app" directly ONCE.

That was it. Now HP Easy Scan seems to work normally."

Hope this helps!

Aug 12, 2021 10:20 AM in response to Ronasara

Hi!

Thank you very much! I just tried with Image Capture... It is strange, but the message is exactly the same than with Easy Scan:

I am not authorised to open HP Scanner, Contact the administrator for assistance...

It is very weird. Maybe it is a matter of permissions, printer configuration... I don´t know...

Also as you see it says HP Scanner 3, when there is only one.

I tried VueScan and it works... but before paying (it is almost the same price than buying a new printer), I would like to know if there is any option.

Thanks again!

Aug 12, 2021 9:48 AM in response to lachistera

Have you tried scanning with apple's Image Capture app? It scans, although it is not a full featured scanner app. If that does not work for you then I suggest that you visit the link below and give their scanning software a try. You can use it for free - it will print with a watermark. If you like it, you can then buy it. This is a full featured scanning app which is well supported. I can recommend it and I purchased it myself. I have no association with them.

VueScan Scanner Software for macOS Catalina, Windows 10, and Linux

HP Scanner doesn't work with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.