You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers

Hi there. I have a new MacBook Air that just doesn't seem capable of connection to my 5.1 speaker set up. When I connect it to television via HDMI, it identifies the connection (it identifies my Marantz amplifier) but will only give me a stereo output option in 'Midid setup.'. If I try this on my nine year old MacBook Pro through the same HDMI connection, it identifies the connection as 'HDMI' and provides a 5.1 option in the dropdown output options in midi setup.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 5:00 PM

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Thanks for the response. When I run the above report it is only recognising stereo speakers in the amp, as per the attached screenshot."

-------

You are welcome.

Apparently, it is seen***

So, contact the Manufacturer: Marantz

Go Here: https://www.marantz.com/contactus/contact

***Screenshot:

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2021 5:00 PM in response to shameusf

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Thanks for the response. When I run the above report it is only recognising stereo speakers in the amp, as per the attached screenshot."

-------

You are welcome.

Apparently, it is seen***

So, contact the Manufacturer: Marantz

Go Here: https://www.marantz.com/contactus/contact

***Screenshot:

Aug 23, 2021 12:47 AM in response to shameusf

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Hi there. I have a new MacBook Air that just doesn't seem capable of connection to my 5.1 speaker set up. When I connect it to television via HDMI, it identifies the connection (it identifies my Marantz amplifier) but will only give me a stereo output option in 'Midid setup.'.[...]"

-------

Verify the Connection:

First off, see if the headphones are is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Choose: System Information or System Report
  4. Select: Audio from the list on the left
  5. Look For: any internal or external speakers

Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.