You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessages not working on ipad

I’m having trouble with iMessages on my iPad Air (3rd generation) when I attempt to send one from the iPad I receive the message ‘not delivered.’ I have no trouble with my iPhone XR, sent and received work perfectly. Whether it is to another iPhone or android device makes no difference.

Having tried a number of fixes I decided to go for the nuclear option and carried out a factory reset. I used ‘Quick Start,’ from my iPhone XR to reset the iPad but still no success.

On my iPad there is no mobile data showing in its place there is Air Drop. I’m using the latest software update

I have noticed that in Settings - Messages - Send and Receive it is my main email address that shows, while on the iPhone it’s the tel number of my router.

What’s wrong and how can I fix it?  And as always my thanks to the community

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 12:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 3:04 PM

Check all setup aspects here.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 11, 2021 1:27 PM in response to kah22

There are several glaring inconsistencies in your post. Here are two.

kah22 wrote:

I’m having trouble with iMessages on my iPad Air (3rd generation) ... Whether it is to another iPhone or android device makes no difference.

iMessage does not communicate to Android devices! iMessage communicates only to/from other Apple devices.

I have noticed that in Settings - Messages - Send and Receive it is my main email address that shows, while on the iPhone it’s the tel number of my router.

That is not possible. The only possible telephone number that can ever appear at Settings > Messages > Send & Receive is an iPhone telephone number.

Aug 11, 2021 2:43 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for your observations, yes you are correct it is my iPhone tel number, I should have paid more attention.

You are of course correct again when you say iMessages do not communicate to Android devices. However, the mobile version on the iPhone/iPad (Messages) does also support SMS and MMS as well as iMessages and I think it should have been obvious that was what was meant!

Let’s try again.  Messages on my iPad are not receiving or sending ANY kind of message within Messenger and that is what I am trying to fix. I can send and receive messages on my iPhone. 

Hopefully, having tried to clear up these glaring inconsistencies, you may have a fix for the problem?

imessages not working on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.