You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2021 iMac - Will not open MS Word (Word cannot load the OLE 2.0 or Docfile libraries

Hello

I am trying to help my brother in law remotely with his new 2021iMac 24" he had last week. I did the initial install with him and all was working. All he had to do was to install a few apps. One of them is Microsoft Office 2019 for Mac. He has been able to install but unable to open Word as has error - Word cannot load the OLE 2.0 or Docfile libraries.

I have talked him through the Microsoft support page, uninstalled the apps and clear various files in Library but nothing working. I know this is a Microsoft question but didn't not know if any else had experienced the same problem.

Many thanks

Matt

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2021 1:34 PM in response to AppleMacCider

Use the following link from my first reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

and check for other discussions of the same problem. There are a number of them that I didn't look at and they may have other reasons and solutions.

Aug 6, 2021 11:45 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks FoxFifth, rkaufmann87 and samtenor

I'm in the UK and getting through to Microsoft is only available through Live Chat, probably with many staff working from home. Microsoft tried to remote access my Brother in Law's iMac today whilst chatting through Live Chat with him. He is not very techie and just has a basic use of this Mac. Copying and pasting with a trackpad I now need to teach him when I am down their way. Anyway, I contacted Microsoft myself again this afternoon and what they have told me to do is to remove Office from Mac (version 19.4) and download from a link they provided version 16.4 from 12 months ago. If this works successfully, then to Office Updater to update the software. If not, then it's back to Microsoft. Office 365 my Brother in Law did consider but then he saw the Home and Student version for £120 which works out much cheaper if the product still has a 2/3 years shelf life left. Will be speaking to him in a few days and will let you know how I get on.

2021 iMac - Will not open MS Word (Word cannot load the OLE 2.0 or Docfile libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.