You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced to subscribe to AppleTV after free trial?

I've had free AppleTV for a year with a subscription to Vodafone Broad Band. Just had an email from Apple saying subscription will start 30th July unless I cancel but there is none showing as it hasn't started yet! Anyone know how to avoid the auto subscription? Seems like they try to make it impossible to avoid auto subscription.

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 8:24 AM

The 1 year free trial came with a subscription to a broadband package.

That package included an Apple TV 4K box, right? That would be the connection. The year offer has always been exclusive to new Apple devices.

I have no Apple subscriptions indicated at all on the ID used

If you redeemed and enjoyed the Apple TV+ offer, then you MUST have that subscription. That’s how that works. Without subscription you wouldn’t have access to Apple TV+.

If you didn’t activate that offer, and never signed up for it, then you wouldn’t have a subscription, nor access to Apple TV+. And then Apple wouldn’t send you reminders.

If you canceled this subscription earlier, then you wouldn’t have this subscription anymore. And Apple wouldn’t send you reminders.

… but an email telling me that the subscription will commence on 30th July unless I cancel it beforehand.

If you have no subscription and never had, then the message is in error, or it is a phishing attempt. With the high level of automation, there isn’t much room for accidental errors.

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you are the organizer of an Apple Family Sharing group, then one of the other group members may have activated the offer or subscribed. That might be billed to the organizer after the trial in some circumstances.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2021 8:24 AM in response to Actifry

The 1 year free trial came with a subscription to a broadband package.

That package included an Apple TV 4K box, right? That would be the connection. The year offer has always been exclusive to new Apple devices.

I have no Apple subscriptions indicated at all on the ID used

If you redeemed and enjoyed the Apple TV+ offer, then you MUST have that subscription. That’s how that works. Without subscription you wouldn’t have access to Apple TV+.

If you didn’t activate that offer, and never signed up for it, then you wouldn’t have a subscription, nor access to Apple TV+. And then Apple wouldn’t send you reminders.

If you canceled this subscription earlier, then you wouldn’t have this subscription anymore. And Apple wouldn’t send you reminders.

… but an email telling me that the subscription will commence on 30th July unless I cancel it beforehand.

If you have no subscription and never had, then the message is in error, or it is a phishing attempt. With the high level of automation, there isn’t much room for accidental errors.

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

If you are the organizer of an Apple Family Sharing group, then one of the other group members may have activated the offer or subscribed. That might be billed to the organizer after the trial in some circumstances.

Jul 24, 2021 7:13 AM in response to Actifry

How to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support (on any of your Apple devices)

The year offer was for the ‘purchase’ of an Apple device (new iPhone or Apple TV box perhaps?), not for the broadband service itself. When you redeemed the offer, that would have started the subscription already, although billing would be postponed for a year. If you have redeemed the offer about a year ago, then it should be listed in your subscriptions overview. Subscriptions auto-renew after the free trial period, until canceled. Cancel at least 24 hours before the renewal moment to avoid fees for the next period. Subscriptions are listed for an Apple ID account, independent of device.

You may alternatively manage subscriptions on other devices:

On the web: How to cancel Apple TV+ - Apple Support

On third party devices with the Apple TV app: Manage subscriptions in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

On a PC with iTunes: Use a Windows PC to cancel subscriptions from Apple - Apple Support

(You will need the matching Apple ID account and its password.)

Jul 24, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

No. The 1 year free trial came with a subscription to a broadband package. I have no Apple subscriptions indicated at all on the ID used but an email telling me that the subscription will commence on 30th July unless I cancel it beforehand. The issue is that as it has not yet started it would appear I can't cancel it until it has despite Apple saying I can.

Forced to subscribe to AppleTV after free trial?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.