You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD formatting problem

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro M1 and a SanDisk external ssd. The ssd was working very well at first. I could erase, reformat etc. . I tried also other formatting types and there were no problems. But I wanted to partition my ssd. First I partitioned into two Mac OS extended parts. Then, I partitioned it into 3 parts (2 of them Mac OS extended, 1 ExFat). This operation failed. Then it began to fail.

I could not erase the disk. It always showed an error. I erased from a Windows PC then initialized on the Mac and tried again. It worked well once but then, there were problems while reading and writing. Now I cannot erase the disk. Also cannot use it. It always shows the errors shown below. Also first aid shows the errors shown. How can I fix these errors?

Thank you very much.

ERRORS: (Sorry, I could not upload the screenshots due to storage limit)

• When I try to write, read data or expand zip files inside the ssd, it shows the error: "Error identifying a writable temporary folder. Try moving the archive to another volume"
  • When I try to move an app to the ssd, it says: "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)"
  • When I try to erase the whole disk, it shows: "The volume on disk4 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel). Couldn't unmount disk. (-69888)"
  • When I try to eject it, a warning shows up saying that it is in use and asks me whether I want to force eject.
  • When I try first aid on the whole disk, it says: "Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting"
  • When I try first aid on the volume named 'External SSD'' it says: "Volume could not be unmounted"

When I list the disks on terminal it shows my ssd:

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:08 PM

Throughout the day I've tried many things. But finally I solved it by first restarting the Mac, then formatting my external ssd on a Windows PC to exFAT with aus 128 kb. Then I inserted my ssd to my Mac and used first aid before erasing the ssd. Then I erased it into exFAT format (GUID). Now, it works fine. I tried many things so, I do not know where exactly the problem was but this process fixed it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2021 6:08 PM in response to kaanatak

Throughout the day I've tried many things. But finally I solved it by first restarting the Mac, then formatting my external ssd on a Windows PC to exFAT with aus 128 kb. Then I inserted my ssd to my Mac and used first aid before erasing the ssd. Then I erased it into exFAT format (GUID). Now, it works fine. I tried many things so, I do not know where exactly the problem was but this process fixed it.

Jul 18, 2021 11:28 AM in response to kaanatak

kaanatak wrote:

Hi everyone,
I recently bought a MacBook Pro M1 and a SanDisk external ssd. The ssd was working very well at first. I could erase, reformat etc. . I tried also other formatting types and there were no problems. But I wanted to partition my ssd. First I partitioned into two Mac OS extended parts. Then, I partitioned it into 3 parts (2 of them Mac OS extended, 1 ExFat). This operation failed. Then it began to fail.

I could not erase the disk. It always showed an error. I erased from a Windows PC then initialized on the Mac and tried again. It worked well once but then, there were problems while reading and writing. Now I cannot erase the disk. Also cannot use it. It always shows the errors shown below. Also first aid shows the errors shown. How can I fix these errors?

Thank you very much.

ERRORS: (Sorry, I could not upload the screenshots due to storage limit)

When I try to write, read data or expand zip files inside the ssd, it shows the error: • "Error identifying a writable temporary folder. Try moving the archive to another volume"
When I try to move an app to the ssd, it says: • "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)"
When I try to erase the whole disk, it shows: • "The volume on disk4 couldn't be unmounted because it is in use by process 0 (kernel). Couldn't unmount disk. (-69888)"
• When I try to eject it, a warning shows up saying that it is in use and asks me whether I want to force eject.
When I try first aid on the whole disk, it says: • "Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting"
When I try first aid on the volume named 'External SSD'' it says: • "Volume could not be unmounted"

When I list the disks on terminal it shows my ssd:
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5d727eb0-9f56-4b28-b6f0-7c33b8848cc9

GUID/apfs

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0

Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac ...

External SSD formatting problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.