You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music loud buzz in start of songs randomly

I must ask if this is a subject of settings in my Apple Music program. I have it set at Lossless 24 bit / 48 K, and this is only happening on my computer. MacBook Air M1 2020 OS 11.4.

Randomly at the start of songs there is this super loud buzz for maybe one second and after that the song starts and plays normally. This is not bound to the songs; if I repeat them or listen to another one and then play it again it does not happen. It maybe happen in one of 15 songs or so. It is so loud it hurts my ears when I use headphones, like the computer maxes out the volume during the buzz and then plays the song at the volume level I use.

What can I do to prevent this, it is quite annoying.

Please excuse my bad English.

Kindest regards

Martin Ljunggren

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 4:46 PM

I am having this same issue. It happens on my iPhone 12 Pro and my M1 MacBook Air. All latest software. Music plays and then there is a loud buzzing distortion and then the music quits. I have to go to another song to get it to start. All of this started with lossless.

And, no, I'm not doing any of the stupid things Apple suggests in this thread. None of them work and none of them ever have. If Sound Enhancer is an issue, why not fix it?

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2021 4:46 PM in response to Parallax View

I am having this same issue. It happens on my iPhone 12 Pro and my M1 MacBook Air. All latest software. Music plays and then there is a loud buzzing distortion and then the music quits. I have to go to another song to get it to start. All of this started with lossless.

And, no, I'm not doing any of the stupid things Apple suggests in this thread. None of them work and none of them ever have. If Sound Enhancer is an issue, why not fix it?

Jul 15, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Northrol

Hello Northrol,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are experiencing some issues with the Music app on your Mac buzzing before a song starts to play. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

To start, let's try taking a look to see if we can adjust some settings on your Mac to make this behavior stop. If you open the Music app on your Mac, then in the top bar, choose Music > Preferences, and click on Playback. From there, try turning off the "Sound Enhancer" selection. Once that is unchecked, try playing music to see if the same behavior continues.

Adjust the sound quality in Music on Mac

If that option is already disabled, try booting your Mac into safe mode to see if the issue persists afterwords:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Keep us updated on how it goes. We hope this information helps.

Best Regards.

Jul 20, 2021 10:12 PM in response to brianj123

Yeeeha! I was thrilled when Apple Music went to Hi]Fi quality and up to Hi-Res. But I couldn't use it while this issue persisted, in fear of ruining my high end equipment and low end ears. So I stayed with another well known Hi-Fi streamer at double the monthly subscription.

After about 8 hours listening, the problem has not raised its ugly head. I repeat, Yeeeha!

Sep 14, 2021 5:18 PM in response to brianj123

Thank you!!! I had been experiencing this for a couple of months and so I was just using my Spotify account. Now I can listen to my lossless music and much of Apple Music's catalog without having to cringe before each song in anticipation of getting my ears blown out. BTW, if you're playing lossless or 24-bit HD audio - you don't need enhancement so do yourself a favor and turn it off.

Sep 17, 2021 2:24 AM in response to brianj123

I'm sure my neighbors will be happy that this is fixed:

Being a musician I have a ton of equipment, so I've been using a small PA system to listen to music. Whenever this beep hits I am sure my neighbors would be thrust out of bed at the sound. Even at low volumes the sound was loud enough to get the cops called, and **** near causing a heart attack to anyone in my apartment.

Glad there is a work around, looking forward to a fix for Sound Enhancer soon.

Oct 25, 2021 10:10 PM in response to brianj123

I have the exact same issue: split second of really high volume buzz when first starting a song in apple music. Music plays normally, the only issue is the really high volume buzz. I turned off Sound Enhancer and will try that, hoping that alleviates the issue. However, I enjoy the Sound Enhancer - does that feature not work? Should it be disabled permanently?

Thank you,

Apple Music loud buzz in start of songs randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.