You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not able to update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.xx (or above)

my old mac book not able to update it OS ? any advise ? I've tried many way that i read from many forum related but still .. dead end.

any one have same experience ??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 11:13 PM

Your mac can only upgrade to macOS High Sierra, it cannot upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Do this.

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to the Download OS section and click on macOS High Sierra.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS High Sierra.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2021 11:13 PM in response to servia22

Your mac can only upgrade to macOS High Sierra, it cannot upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Do this.

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to the Download OS section and click on macOS High Sierra.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS High Sierra.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

Jul 13, 2021 4:34 PM in response to servia22

Original OSMac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210) Later OSMac OS X 10.6.7 (10J4139) Maximum OSmacOS 10.13.6 (17G65)

macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications

General Requirements

• OS X 10.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 14.3GB of available storage to perform upgrade*
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Mac Hardware Requirements

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac. These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Don't use FireFox for these links…

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp765?locale=en_US

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

If you get a corrupted message...

Naw, not damaged, it's just that you have an old copy already in Applications, there are 2 cures...

Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS High Sierra App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Or... trash the Install MacsOS High Sierra.app in Applications, empty trash & restart, then a new copy of a more recent version can be downloaded…

Jul 13, 2021 11:03 PM in response to BDAqua

thanks for your advise

I've checked and tried

• as for hardware requirement my old MacBook spec only able to fulfill High Sierra requirement
  • ".....Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS High Sierra App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired........"

this is not working as well it still showing same response with or without internet and also with present and backdate Date and year

• "....... trash the Install MacsOS High Sierra.app in Applications, empty trash & restart, then a new copy of a more recent version can be downloaded…...."

I tried download from office apple link redirect to app store same MacOS High Sierra and also tried to download recent version both not working...

for recent version it already block from beginning it said not suit for my MacBook

any more advise ?.....

Thanks in advance

Jul 14, 2021 12:20 AM in response to servia22

I am also facing the same issue. I have got the installer file for 10.13.6 and 12.13.2 , and in App Store only 10.13.6 only available.

But if you try to upgrade form Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 to Mac OS High Sierra 12.13.6, the system ask to install OS high Sierra 10.13 first.

Its not allowing to install directly from Sierra 10.12.6 to high Sierra 12.13.6 directly with out installing 10.13.

I tried the internet recovery CMD+OPT+R, but not working. spending more than 7 days , trying repeatedly, different methods, doesn't work.

Some suggested to delete the high Sierra installer and try again, did that to several times....

some one please guide..

Jul 14, 2021 12:42 AM in response to DJayaseelan

You have to download the full installer app from the App Store, only the full installer app

will install macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

You have been trying to apply updates of macOS High Sierra, these updates that you no doubt downloaded from the

Apple Support Downloads site can only be installed if you are running an earlier version of macOS High Sierra.

Go to my earlier post above and follow the instructions within.

Jul 14, 2021 4:26 AM in response to Eau Rouge

your advise definitely WORKS !!!!

Trashed the downloaded High Sierra before before , empty the trash, and re-download and now I got my High Sierra 10.13.6

Just before I re-download and re-install the High sierra from the app store link , I download and reinstall the Sierra OS first.

Many thanks for the discussion , very helpful and my problem solved

not able to update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.xx (or above)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.