You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authentication notice

Hi- this may sound like a bit of an odd question, and I'm not entirely sure what happened if I'm honest?

I was using my MacBook Air when I randomly got an authentication notice that popped up on my phone saying that I had recently signed into iMessage on a 'new device'. Said new device being the MacBook Air that I was using (and which definitely wasn't new or recently signed onto?) My MacBook also for some reason had logged me out of my iMessages? Any idea what might have gone on here- is it a glitch? Or something else entirely. Either way, I have changed my password just to be safe but I am a little confused.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 8:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 8:37 PM

hlosdo02 Said:

"Authentication notice[...]My MacBook also for some reason had logged me out of my iMessages? Any idea what might have gone on here- is it a glitch? Or something else entirely. Either way, I have changed my password just to be safe but I am a little confused."

-------

Check your Devices: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

If something does not look accurate, or if something is not showing, then maybe someone likely has access to your account.

Also...

Modify your Credentials:

Consider modifying your credentials, for Security & Privacy concerns, starting with a new eMail address. Here is how it would work with Apple:

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2021 8:37 PM in response to hlosdo02

hlosdo02 Said:

"Authentication notice[...]My MacBook also for some reason had logged me out of my iMessages? Any idea what might have gone on here- is it a glitch? Or something else entirely. Either way, I have changed my password just to be safe but I am a little confused."

-------

Check your Devices: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

If something does not look accurate, or if something is not showing, then maybe someone likely has access to your account.

Also...

Modify your Credentials:

Consider modifying your credentials, for Security & Privacy concerns, starting with a new eMail address. Here is how it would work with Apple:

Jul 10, 2021 8:48 PM in response to TheLittles

Hiya- so as regards credentials: I checked to see where I was signed in, and it was just those two confirmed devices (my phone and MacBook). I have two factor authentication enabled, which was why I got the notification, and I changed my password immediately because it struck me as weird. Any idea as to what may have caused the problem itself? Thanks.

Jul 10, 2021 9:03 PM in response to hlosdo02

hlosdo02 Said:

"Authentication notice[...]Any idea as to what may have caused the problem itself? Thanks."

-------

Two Things:

Logged out of iCloud recently on your Mac? If so, then all would need to resync.

Carrier's Services Down:

If not, then contact your carrier, as they provide you with the service of messaging. Perhaps messaging is giving your issues on the carrier's end.

Jul 12, 2021 2:37 PM in response to TheLittles

Hiya so I did check and my service provider didn’t appear to have any issues? And as I already mentioned, I hadn’t logged out of iCloud on my computer, and the only authenticated devices were my own. Is it possible it was just some kind of glitch, or was it something else? I have changed my password and do have two factor authentication enabled so hopefully whatever caused it won’t do so again? Thanks :)

Authentication notice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.