You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset old iphone

I have an old iphone4 I wish to repurpose for a young grand daughter . However the phone was used by a now deceased family member whose Apple account I deleted at the time of passing . Any way I try it keeps requesting the password for the Apple account which I input but of course the account no longer exists so it error messages . May be easier to bin the phone , but it would be helpful as a security devise for my grand daughter. Almost given up 🤷🏼‍♂️ So any help gratefully accepted.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 6:59 PM

There is no way to use the phone without the Apple ID and Password of the original owner. This is a theft prevention feature. We can't help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. There is a legal path to retrieve account, but I doubt you want to go to this much trouble for such an old phone.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 9, 2021 6:59 PM in response to Winning_Paul

There is no way to use the phone without the Apple ID and Password of the original owner. This is a theft prevention feature. We can't help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. There is a legal path to retrieve account, but I doubt you want to go to this much trouble for such an old phone.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Factory reset old iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.