You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA M1 getting warm

Hello, I just got my MBA M1 for less than a month, and I realised that it gets warm whenever I'm having online classes, which it didn't happen for the first two weeks. Should this be a concern for me?

FYI, I'm using safari, and the platform for my online class is Blackboard Collaborate. I'm only having 3 safari tabs and one MSWORD document opened simultaneously.

Sorry if I'm being paranoid as this is my first MacBook, and I'm having really high expectations for it!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 9:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 10:18 PM

All of the power going into a Mac eventually comes out again as heat, as happens with any computer. Online classes are going to be doing a fair amount of video processing, and data compression and decompression. All of which consume power. And a Mac is designed to use the chassis to help keep the electronics cool, so the chassis will get warm when busy.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2021 10:18 PM in response to clairdeluna

All of the power going into a Mac eventually comes out again as heat, as happens with any computer. Online classes are going to be doing a fair amount of video processing, and data compression and decompression. All of which consume power. And a Mac is designed to use the chassis to help keep the electronics cool, so the chassis will get warm when busy.

Jul 9, 2021 4:03 AM in response to clairdeluna

Did you perchance add any apps, or configure any additional activities, or add remote data synchronization, over those same two weeks? More work?

Added load means added warmth. And again, warmth when busy is normal.

Some add-ons such as anti-malware, add-on VPN clients, and add-on cleaner apps—generally not the sort of apps I’d recommend installing and using—can increase load, which means more heat.

If you want to see a little more about what your Mac is doing, launch Activity Monitor from Applications > Utilities, and watch the processor and storage and network activity.

But again, a busy Mac is a warm Mac.

MBA M1 getting warm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.