You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

advice on clean install to remove/resolve screen issue

Hi,

I am having a very restless "moving" display of my MacbookPro 2020.

which is "i suspect" caused by corruption of the graphics drivers or such by code. at least that's what i would like to try solving before blaming it on hardware defects, it's a recent new mac.

(If this doesn't work i will go to a apple repair center).

I did try a wipe and reinstall via recovery mode before. but this did not solve the issue.

My question : what would be the most thourough clean install after a full wipe of the SSD? via Internet recovery or best chances with a osx catalina on a usb stick and install from there?

My aime is trying with the clean install to reinstall "flash" the drivers "bios" and firmware to restore them to normall original ,out of the factory, behavior.

Is there a way to get your recovery partition which is read only from the internet or from a usb ?

actions i already tried :

erase clean install via recovery mode , without backups , no apple id , no external devices .

resetting NVRAM , Pram

resetting battery

restart in save mode , issue still present.

startup mac closed (clamshell) with external monitor, keyboard mouse without opening the mac. (issue visible on the external display)

tested mac at different locations , different lights , power supply or battery.

I will also try booting a Ubuntu iso from USB Flashdrive to exclude hardware or software.

Any light of expertise on this matter will be gratefully accepted .

many thanks in advance

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 4:48 PM

<< I did try a wipe and reinstall via recovery mode before. but this did not solve the issue. >>

Then your theory about clobbered drivers did not pan out, and you need to consider that you likely have a Hardware issue.

Test in Safe Mode also failed -- Hardware issue

Connect to your TV set or external displays and also failed -- hardware issue

Run the diagnostic. Remember that a plain result says "No Fault Found", which is not the same as "all is well" .

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2021 4:48 PM in response to appelbabbel

<< I did try a wipe and reinstall via recovery mode before. but this did not solve the issue. >>

Then your theory about clobbered drivers did not pan out, and you need to consider that you likely have a Hardware issue.

Test in Safe Mode also failed -- Hardware issue

Connect to your TV set or external displays and also failed -- hardware issue

Run the diagnostic. Remember that a plain result says "No Fault Found", which is not the same as "all is well" .

advice on clean install to remove/resolve screen issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.