You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV home sharing not working

I have a PC and trying to use home sharing. It works fine on my Iphone12 and on Ipad Air 3, but it does not work on my 4K Apple TV. All updates have been made, signed in to the same account. It just does not work. Any ideas or thoughts?

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 5:24 PM

8 replies

Jun 13, 2021 10:14 AM in response to turingtest2

No sign of the library at all on the Apple TV, I have rebooted the router, the Apple TV, the PC. Just doesn't seem like anything works.

When you say computers app, not sure what that means. Is that earlier version of Apple TV? Basically, I am just going to the TV app, on the Apple TV and it has my normal library of purchased movies from iTunes, but usually with home sharing it will show my separate library from my PC (in home videos). It's just strange cause it works flawlessly on my iphone and ipad, just not AppleTV.

Jun 13, 2021 5:56 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm having the same problem. Just started within the last 2 or 3 days. All software at the latest versions and all devices rebooted several times. When attempting to access the Computers app on Apple TV, instead of showing my Home Shared library, it throws an error message saying it can't connect. I have Apple TV v7.7 software. I'm guessing this version has a bug. Any idea how frequently the Apple TV software is updated?

Jul 30, 2021 6:58 AM in response to stlee4005

I have the same problem. I'm Homesharing using an old Mac mini running iTunes 12.8.x. I can watch via home sharing on all gen 3 AppleTVs, a gen 4 AppleTV, and via iPhone, iPad and Macs... but my AppleTV 4k does not connect. However, it does show the latest/most recent movies that have been uploaded on the Home Screen when on the computers app. Clicking on the Computers app though just gives a cannot connect and make sure your computer is on the same network (which it is).

I've tried updating to the newest firmware, updating iTunes (now most current), rebooting routers and access points, etc. Cannot get it to view the library.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting to the point of trying the beta software to see if that solves it.

Thanks,

DJ

Sep 7, 2021 10:55 AM in response to donovanjames

I'm having problems with the Library in regard to Photos; for the last few months the capability to view photos via Homesharing on the AppleTV (3 different models) has disappeared. I did get to a senior-level support person a few months ago who (finally) confirmed that this was a known bug, and they'd work on it with an unknown timeline. v14.7 came and went with no fix.

I think all of these problems are related, even though they manifest different from person to person. I really wish they'd get this figured out...

Apple TV home sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.