You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up on computer and share some files of with another computer

I do have 2 devices using the same AppleID:

-      One Mac Mini

-      One Macbook Pro

I would like to use icloud storage to make a full back up of :

-      Mac mini

Also,  I would like a few files from mac mini to be synchronized with my Macbook Pro. I guess this part would need to be done using Icloud drive.

I am lost I have read some confusing information about icloud, and I cannot see the clearline between icloud and icloud drive.

If I back up my Mac Mini will it sync everything on my Macbook Pro? If It does, I will run out of space on my Macbook Pro.

Please kindly advise. Thanks

Josep Maria

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 11:14 AM

Josep_maria wrote:

@LACAllen I appreciate your time help.

If you do not mind, I would appreciate if you could kindly suggest me, which solution would you propose me for:

a) Backup ONLY my MacMini to the cloud, even if there is no point in time to go backwards. I am happy to have access to the latest incremental copy only.

b) Sync some files between MacMini and MacBook Pro, not all of them as my MacBook Pro has limited capacity.

Do I need ICloud + a third party solution?

Suggest you Google "macos cloud data solutions"

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 4, 2021 11:14 AM in response to Josep_maria

Josep_maria wrote:

If you do not mind, I would appreciate if you could kindly suggest me, which solution would you propose me for:

a) Backup ONLY my MacMini to the cloud, even if there is no point in time to go backwards. I am happy to have access to the latest incremental copy only.

b) Sync some files between MacMini and MacBook Pro, not all of them as my MacBook Pro has limited capacity.

Suggest you Google "macos cloud data solutions"

Jun 4, 2021 10:15 AM in response to LACAllen

@LACallen, thanks for your answer.

If I understand correctly then:

• ICloudDrive is part of ICloud
  • ICloud shall only sync files found on ICloud Drive between my computers

Finally, ICloud cannot provide a full backup of my computer, like TimeMachine does.

However, I found this article stating that a full backup is possible.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-make-sure-icloud-is-backing-up-syncing-your-data

When I select ICloud, it shall copy to the cloud l files from the computer chosen, not from both comptures.

Kindly confirm to me my understanding is correct. Thanks.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jun 4, 2021 7:48 AM in response to Josep_maria

I would like to use icloud storage to make a full back up of :
-      Mac mini

iCloud does not provide backups for a Mac. Select content syncing only.

I would like a few files from mac mini to be synchronized with my Macbook Pro. I guess this part would need to be done using Icloud drive.

iCloud will sync all files/folders found in your Mac's iCloud Drive folder.

Optionally, you can choose to sync all files/folders found in your Mac's Desktop and Documents folders.

iCloud is the name for a series of features using your iCloud Storage space.

iCloud Drive is one of those specific features.

Jun 4, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Josep_maria

ICloudDrive is part of ICloud
• ICloud shall only sync files found on ICloud Drive between my computers

yes and no.

iCloud syncs each computer to iCloud. Not directly to each other.

You can also choose to enable syncing the Desktop and Documents folders.

inally, ICloud cannot provide a full backup of my computer, like TimeMachine does.

yes

I found this article stating that a full backup is possible.
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-make-sure-icloud-is-backing-up-syncing-your-data

Ok. A 3rd party has a solution that may or may not work as desired. The article uses the term backup differently. Syncing is, IMO, more accurate. A "back up" is typically a point in time you an go back to. Syncing is real time and there is no oops. Different features.

select ICloud, it shall copy to the cloud l files from the computer chosen, not from both comptures.

If both computers are syncing, iCloud will end up with files from both computers.

Jun 4, 2021 11:11 AM in response to LACAllen

Back up on computer and share some files of with another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.