You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it I can not facetime someone using their telephone number but I can do it using their icloud email address. I can call them with the same telephone number. I have an iphone 8 and the other person has an iphone 12 pro.

Why is it my I can not facetime someone using their telephone number but I can do it using their icloud email address. I can call them with the same telephone number. I have an iphone 8 and the other person has an iphone 12 pro. I can call the person using their telphone number in my contacts with no problem.

Posted on May 15, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 8:12 AM

Tonydoj wrote:

Why is it my I can not facetime someone using their telephone number but I can do it using their icloud email address. I can call them with the same telephone number. I have an iphone 8 and the other person has an iphone 12 pro. I can call the person using their telphone number in my contacts with no problem.

Because they haven’t enabled FaceTime contacting with their telephone number. To see, go to Settings/FaceTime. Look under “You can be reached by FaceTime At:” You get to choose how you can be reached.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2021 8:12 AM in response to Tonydoj

Tonydoj wrote:

Because they haven’t enabled FaceTime contacting with their telephone number. To see, go to Settings/FaceTime. Look under “You can be reached by FaceTime At:” You get to choose how you can be reached.

Why is it I can not facetime someone using their telephone number but I can do it using their icloud email address. I can call them with the same telephone number. I have an iphone 8 and the other person has an iphone 12 pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.