You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wallet not working on watch

Hi can anyone help at all

I have the really old first ever apple watch and its always worked so I have never bothered upgrading

I have recently brought an iphone 12 as tried to set up the wallet but it will not let me add the card (it works on my phone fine.)

The message I get is

software update required to add this card

However, the watch and phone are both showing as fully updated - am i missing something here or is my watch just not compatible with the iPhone 12?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on May 11, 2021 2:07 PM

9 replies

May 11, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Michelleking_

Your original post is quite confusing. Here are a few examples.

• Presumably your working situation had been:
    • A previous iPhone, with Wallet and cards set up fine.
    • This Apple Watch first generation, with WatchOS 4.3.2, with Wallet and cards set up fine.
  • Now there appear to be two status quo changes:
    • A brand new iPhone 12, hopefully in a factory sealed box.
    • ”… and it will not let me add the card” - so some sort of card is being added, perhaps to the Apple Watch. Had it been on the iPhone? Is it a credit /debit card? Pass card? We don’t know.
  • ”… tried to set up the wallet” - perhaps that means the Apple Watch Wallet. Perhaps that means after unpairing and re-pairing the Apple Watch. We don’t know what might appear in the Apple Watch’s Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay. We don’t know if any cards appear there, etc.

May 11, 2021 3:32 PM in response to sberman

So yes it was working fine

Brand new iphone - card has been added to the phone fine but will not allow my to add the card to the apple watch wallet

I have tried pairing and unpairing, the card appears (its a standard debit card) and says it needs the security code (CVV) but I put it in it says that I need to update my software - I try and update the software and it says both are fully up to date.

May 29, 2021 1:10 PM in response to Michelleking_

I had exactly the same problem. It seems that it was some bug in iOS 14.5.1 and it was causing this issue. I just updated my IPhone SE2020 to new iOS version 14.6 and it fixed the whole problem with adding cards to my Apple Watch Series 0 (first generation, watchOS 4.3.2). Everything works just fine now. Pls update the software on your Iphone and try to add your debit/credit card(s) again.

Wallet not working on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.