You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default Location - Finder Path for Music Files - macOS Catalina 10.15.7

HI all,

I am curious about the default location of music files for Apple Music files when running Catalina 10.15.7.

If Music > Preferences > Files > Music Media folder location is set to:

" /Macintosh HD/Users/~/Music/Music/Media" (I believe that is the default???)

If I then start ripping CDs...

Should the folders of each CD be found in:

"/Macintosh HD/Users/~/Music/Music/Media/" (multiple folders - 1 for each CD)

or

"/Macintosh HD/Users/~/Music/Music/Media/Music/" (multiple folders - 1 for each CD)

(Note the additional folder "Music" at the end of the path.

After importing several CD's I am seeing the individual folders in the "Media" folder. I have "Keep Music Media folder organized" checked in the Files tab and I also ran the "Organize Library" task from he Music > Files menu after importing the CDs just to see if it made any difference...

Based on pics I see on the internet, it appears the default should be to have the individual music folders in the "Music" folder inside the "Media" folder????

Thanks

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:45 AM

Back in the day artist folders were put in the media folder, along with additional folders for different media kinds like Movies or Podcasts. iTunes 9 introduced iTunes Media Organization, changing the default media folder name from iTunes Music to iTunes Media and added a Music subfolder for artist folders to go into. These were defaults on new libraries but older libraries weren't converted automatically. They could be updated using a one way option under File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files. Now that Music doesn't really offer any other media kinds the additional Music folder is redundant, and looks messy when there are already two other Music folders in the path, however Apple haven't provided a mechanism to remove it. They should really flip the behaviour of rearrange files to remove the extra folder in Music but that hasn't happened.

To remove the bonus Music folder start with the Music app closed and look inside the Media folder for a hidden file called .Media Preferences.plist. (You can reveal/hide hidden files with Shift+Cmd+. if required.) Its contents will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GUID</key>

<string>83CBF720-9DF0-2414-753C-77538D89E54F</string>

<key>Layout Version</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

Open it with some form of text editor and change the integer value from 1 to 0, save the file, launch Music, then turn Music > Preferences > Files > Keep Music Media folder organized off, click OK, then turn it on again. Music should move all artist folders up one level and remove the now empty /Media/Music folder when it completes the task.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2021 11:45 AM in response to John Kauble

Back in the day artist folders were put in the media folder, along with additional folders for different media kinds like Movies or Podcasts. iTunes 9 introduced iTunes Media Organization, changing the default media folder name from iTunes Music to iTunes Media and added a Music subfolder for artist folders to go into. These were defaults on new libraries but older libraries weren't converted automatically. They could be updated using a one way option under File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files. Now that Music doesn't really offer any other media kinds the additional Music folder is redundant, and looks messy when there are already two other Music folders in the path, however Apple haven't provided a mechanism to remove it. They should really flip the behaviour of rearrange files to remove the extra folder in Music but that hasn't happened.

To remove the bonus Music folder start with the Music app closed and look inside the Media folder for a hidden file called .Media Preferences.plist. (You can reveal/hide hidden files with Shift+Cmd+. if required.) Its contents will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GUID</key>

<string>83CBF720-9DF0-2414-753C-77538D89E54F</string>

<key>Layout Version</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

Open it with some form of text editor and change the integer value from 1 to 0, save the file, launch Music, then turn Music > Preferences > Files > Keep Music Media folder organized off, click OK, then turn it on again. Music should move all artist folders up one level and remove the now empty /Media/Music folder when it completes the task.

tt2

May 27, 2021 9:39 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2

Thanks, that makes sense I think...

So to confirm:

The Apple Music App default is in fact to put the artist folders in the "Music" folder nested inside the "Media" folder?????

Although I agree it is a bit messy, I do sort of like that it keeps the "Automatically Add to Music" folder and "Downloads-Music" folders easier to find.

As long as the Media / Music subfolder is "the norm", I'll likely stick with that for now. I just wanted to confirm that I did not cause that subfolder in the path.

Thanks Again

John

Default Location - Finder Path for Music Files - macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.