You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD is not showing up in Disk Utility

I am trying to factory reset my 2015 Macbook pro. However as I shut it down and turn it back on a file folder with a question mark kept on flashing. I turned it off and pressed command R to recover and fix anything that I could but on the disk utilities Macintosh HD and Macintosh data are no where to be seen... any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Posted on May 2, 2021 4:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 5:41 PM

If you are booting from the macOS 10.13+ installer, then within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. If you don't see the physical SSD listed (it should be the top most item listed something like "Apple SSD...."), then the SSD has most likely failed.

If your laptop uses a third party NVMe SSD, then you must be booting to the macOS 10.13+ installer since the older installers don't have the necessary NVMe driver.

If the SSD has failed, then you can install a third party SSD from OWC as long as your laptop has previously had macOS 10.13+ installed:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2021 5:41 PM in response to questionable241

If you are booting from the macOS 10.13+ installer, then within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. If you don't see the physical SSD listed (it should be the top most item listed something like "Apple SSD...."), then the SSD has most likely failed.

If your laptop uses a third party NVMe SSD, then you must be booting to the macOS 10.13+ installer since the older installers don't have the necessary NVMe driver.

If the SSD has failed, then you can install a third party SSD from OWC as long as your laptop has previously had macOS 10.13+ installed:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro

Macintosh HD is not showing up in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.