You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone backup to imac problems

Many failures when I try to do an encrypted backup my iPhone to Xs Max to my iMac. Both are running the latest software. Sometimes the backup works and sometimes it doesn't

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 5:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 11:10 PM

Should be fixed doing some of these (Click Back Up Now every step to isolate the issue):

- Try with another USB cable if you have.

- On the finder window at Sidebar ckick your iPhone » Options » Uncheck or Check "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" » Click Apply and do a Sync (should show a progress bar below for few seconds).

- Open iTunes head the Account menu » Deauthorize this computer and Authorize again (it will ask to fill your Apple ID and password).

- Make sure under Backups "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac” is selected, also check "Encyrpt local backup" (it will ask you to choose a password only for your Backups).

- If nothing happens or still takes forever click on "Manage Backups", it must list your latest backup to your Mac. Right Control over it » Show in Finder. IMPORTANT: Copy that folder to the desktop to avoid losing your backup, or make an iCloud backup on from your iPhone, or in case you have Time Machine enabled and updated you will be safe. Now, select your Backup from "Manage Backups" list and delete it.

- Click Back Up Now.

How to back up your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps and solves your question. Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Bodyxs 

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 11:10 PM in response to Bigbug

Should be fixed doing some of these (Click Back Up Now every step to isolate the issue):

- Try with another USB cable if you have.

- On the finder window at Sidebar ckick your iPhone » Options » Uncheck or Check "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" » Click Apply and do a Sync (should show a progress bar below for few seconds).

- Open iTunes head the Account menu » Deauthorize this computer and Authorize again (it will ask to fill your Apple ID and password).

- Make sure under Backups "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac” is selected, also check "Encyrpt local backup" (it will ask you to choose a password only for your Backups).

- If nothing happens or still takes forever click on "Manage Backups", it must list your latest backup to your Mac. Right Control over it » Show in Finder. IMPORTANT: Copy that folder to the desktop to avoid losing your backup, or make an iCloud backup on from your iPhone, or in case you have Time Machine enabled and updated you will be safe. Now, select your Backup from "Manage Backups" list and delete it.

- Click Back Up Now.

How to back up your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps and solves your question. Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Bodyxs 

May 24, 2021 7:31 AM in response to Bigbug

I have followed all suggestions multiple times to try to fix the iPhone backup to my iMac. Nothing ever really fixes the problem. To get a backup to work I either retry, reboot the iPhone, reboot the iMac or do all three. This is getting to be a pain. It sure seems to be an Apple problem.

Just as an aside i think it's funny that many people say do this or that using iTunes. I thought iTunes is now called Music. "shrugs"

May 24, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Bigbug

After MacOS Mojave iTunes was replaced by Music.

This isn't an Apple known issue. Most surely some leftovers of old software installed, 3rd party ones, etc.

It's hard to tell you how to fix it without the lack of a detailed feedback and avoid a make a clean install on both kind of advise.

When started to happen? Did you upgrade to MacOS Big Sur with a clean install? Can you try with another iPhone / iPad / Mac?... etc

May 24, 2021 10:23 AM in response to bodyxs

Not a know issue? When I do a google search I see page after page of problems backing up/ syncing an iPhone. If it's not known they're just not looking.

The "detailed" error i get, when I get an error and the backup doesn't run for eight hours, is "The iPhone “iPhone” could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish"

It's a backup, a copy for data from one device to another, 3rd party software or a clean instal should have nothing to do with in.

The backup will work if I reboot the iMac, reboot the iPhone, force quit the backup, one or all of those. Its not that it doesn't work, its 90% of the time the backup needs some type of intervention to work.

May 24, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Bigbug

Sadly it's not an Apple bug. There are multiple ways to backup your iPhone, and just a small percentage of users do it directly on a Mac. If it will be an know Apple bug this forum will flooded.

More technical but you can freely Open the Console app on your Mac and check your crash reports, Diagnostic reports, Log reports, System Log, etc.

Also if you are sure it's an Apple bug you can contact them directly by phone or chat: Get Support

iphone backup to imac problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.